Imdyinhere
Imdyinhere's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: Mar 3 2017 - 8:59am
mini PC Audio Issues - Please Help
commsysman
commsysman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Joined: Apr 4 2006 - 11:33am
Imdyinhere wrote:

Purchased a Minix Z83-4 mini PC. Was having issues with BSOD and thought maybe it had a flawed install of Windows 10. When I hooked it up in my office to a 27" monitor via HDMI it worked fine. Had great picture and sound through the monitor's speakers. But when I moved it to my home theater and hooked up through my AVR to run my media library on network, I was getting BSOD. I tried to reset it back to factory and had no luck there. I then returned it to the seller and got another. Had the same thing happen. Worked fine in the office hooked up to the Asus monitor, but got BSODs when hooked up to AVR. Tried using different HDMI cables, different CAT5 cable, still with no luck. I then did a complete reinstall of windows using a USB stick. Again, worked fine on the monitor but for some reason when hooked up to the AVR this time, was working ok but now I had no sound device found. I tried loading audio driver only to have them not work and after reboot, still no audio device found. Shortly thereafter the BSOD's started again.

Took the thing back into my office to try to troubleshoot next to my main PC, hooked it up, and voila... worked perfectly. Even watched an entire movie from the library hosted on the main PC with no issues at all.

So here is my grand dilemma. i am pretty sure that the issue is being caused by the AVR. The Mini PC is hooked up via HDMI on my Marantz SR7001. I get a great picture on the TV (LG 60" 1080p), but still no sound device is found. Any thoughts or ideas what might be causing the issue and what might be a solution?

I hate to be so ignorant, but I have no f..... idea what BSOD stands for.

Please clarify for us ignorant folks.

You have an audio output jack on the mini PC, I am sure (3.5mm stereo jack).

Get a cable with a 3.5mm stereo plug on one end and two RCA plugs on the other end, and connect it from the mini to the audio input jacks of the AVR.

commsysman
commsysman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Joined: Apr 4 2006 - 11:33am

Run the HDMI cable direct from the MINI PC to the TV monitor for the video and mute the TV sound.

Imdyinhere
Imdyinhere's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: Mar 3 2017 - 8:59am
commsysman wrote:
Imdyinhere wrote:

Purchased a Minix Z83-4 mini PC. Was having issues with BSOD and thought maybe it had a flawed install of Windows 10. When I hooked it up in my office to a 27" monitor via HDMI it worked fine. Had great picture and sound through the monitor's speakers. But when I moved it to my home theater and hooked up through my AVR to run my media library on network, I was getting BSOD. I tried to reset it back to factory and had no luck there. I then returned it to the seller and got another. Had the same thing happen. Worked fine in the office hooked up to the Asus monitor, but got BSODs when hooked up to AVR. Tried using different HDMI cables, different CAT5 cable, still with no luck. I then did a complete reinstall of windows using a USB stick. Again, worked fine on the monitor but for some reason when hooked up to the AVR this time, was working ok but now I had no sound device found. I tried loading audio driver only to have them not work and after reboot, still no audio device found. Shortly thereafter the BSOD's started again.

Took the thing back into my office to try to troubleshoot next to my main PC, hooked it up, and voila... worked perfectly. Even watched an entire movie from the library hosted on the main PC with no issues at all.

So here is my grand dilemma. i am pretty sure that the issue is being caused by the AVR. The Mini PC is hooked up via HDMI on my Marantz SR7001. I get a great picture on the TV (LG 60" 1080p), but still no sound device is found. Any thoughts or ideas what might be causing the issue and what might be a solution?

I hate to be so ignorant, but I have no f..... idea what BSOD stands for.

Please clarify for us ignorant folks.

You have an audio output jack on the mini PC, I am sure (3.5mm stereo jack).

Get a cable with a 3.5mm stereo plug on one end and two RCA plugs on the other end, and connect it from the mini to the audio input jacks of the AVR.

BSOD = Blue screen of Death (i.e. critical stop)

That's a fine idea but how do i get video then? Plugged into HDMI is whats jacking up the audio device on the PC. I could do as the other member suggested and run HDMI to the TV, then use the Toslink cable to carry audio to the reciever, but that is a less that elegant solution as I dont want any visible wires. Power and HDMI from the receiver run behind the wall. Guess ill have to see if that works and if so, remove the TV from the wall and run the extra cables.

Any other ideas at what might be causing this? There has to be a solution.

mtymous1
mtymous1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: Dec 15 2015 - 5:47pm

First, I would look for better drivers.

If there aren't any, I would recommend returning the Minix and getting yourself an Intel NUC instead. Plenty of options to customize your own, or get one that's ready out of the box. (Intel does a VERY nice job of automatically updating their NUC drivers. I know this because I personally have two and have set up additional ones for friends.)

I would also recommend that you purchase a NUC model that also supports TOSLINK out so you don't have to daisychain your TV (that doesn't output above 48 kHz, nor support the more modern multi-channel audio formats).

Imdyinhere
Imdyinhere's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: Mar 3 2017 - 8:59am
mtymous1 wrote:

First, I would look for better drivers.

If there aren't any, I would recommend returning the Minix and getting yourself an Intel NUC instead. Plenty of options to customize your own, or get one that's ready out of the box. (Intel does a VERY nice job of automatically updating their NUC drivers. I know this because I personally have two and have set up additional ones for friends.)

I would also recommend that you purchase a NUC model that also supports TOSLINK out so you don't have to daisychain your TV (that doesn't output above 48 kHz, nor support the more modern multi-channel audio formats).

Pretty sure it isn't a driver issue. It seems to me like a hdmi handshake issue between the AVR and the PC. As I stated earlier, it works fine when connected to a 27" monitor with onboard speakers. The drivers are also the same drivers I have on my main rig running a very robust 3.1 setup. With regards to hardware, the minix runs just fine, plays 1080p movies over network with no issues at all. I think Ill wait and see if its a receiver issue first before returning it. Plus I am working under a budget and spending alot more for a bare bones unit with all the additional expenses isn't really in the cards right now.

Also I have to ask what you meant by daisy chaining my TV. Was that in reference to going HTPC>TV for video and TV>Receiver for audio, or running the whole thing through the AVR? Currently I have an Xbox1 and Satellite box also running through the AVR via HDMI with zero problems.

mtymous1
mtymous1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: Dec 15 2015 - 5:47pm
Imdyinhere wrote:

Pretty sure it isn't a driver issue. It seems to me like a hdmi handshake issue between the AVR and the PC. As I stated earlier, it works fine when connected to a 27" monitor with onboard speakers. The drivers are also the same drivers I have on my main rig running a very robust 3.1 setup. With regards to hardware, the minix runs just fine, plays 1080p movies over network with no issues at all. I think Ill wait and see if its a receiver issue first before returning it. Plus I am working under a budget and spending alot more for a bare bones unit with all the additional expenses isn't really in the cards right now.

Also I have to ask what you meant by daisy chaining my TV. Was that in reference to going HTPC>TV for video and TV>Receiver for audio, or running the whole thing through the AVR? Currently I have an Xbox1 and Satellite box also running through the AVR via HDMI with zero problems.

Not refuting the possibility of the AVR, but the driver (and sometimes firmware) has a say negotiating the handshake. (BTW, what AVR is it?) I also find it hard to believe that the drivers on the main rig are compatible with the mini (unless you are using chipset manufacturer drivers that are coincidentally the same.)

Make sure to check the HDMI and HDCP versions that are supported throughout your delivery stream (video card, AVR, TV).

Correct. Daisychain in your context would be the HTPC via HDMI --> TV via TOSLINK --> AVR. AWFUL suggestion - avoid that.

jumbo
jumbo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 8 months ago
Joined: Jun 8 2018 - 3:59pm

MoreFine M1S audio problems

Install Intel SST Audio Device (WDM) drivers.

If that does not work do this:

Go to
https://www.asus.com/support/Download-Center

Select a product:
Product type: Stick PCs
Product Series: All
Product Model: VivoStick PC (TS10)

Or Go to:
https://www.asus.com/Stick-PCs/VivoStick-PC-TS10/HelpDesk_Download/
Select OS: Windows 10

Download VivoStick PC (TS10) AUDIO driver

Or go to:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/Nuvoton_Audio_Driver_Win10_V143548552.zip

Unpack download

Install by double-clicking: Setup

Restart your MoreFine M1S

Mi
Mi's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 days ago
Joined: Oct 21 2023 - 5:47pm

MoreFine M1S audio problems using HDMI audio output, Windows 10
MoreFine M1S audio problems

Install: Intel SST Audio Device (WDM) drivers.

Do this:

Search for:
Intel - MEDIA - 11/16/2018 12:00:00 AM - 604.10135.5432.27983 Windows 10 and later drivers Drivers (Sound) 11/15/2018 n/a 627 KB

Your search will lead you to:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Intel%20SST%20Audio%20Device(WDM)

or https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/home.aspx Here search: Intel SST Audio Device (WDM).

next

Download: Intel - MEDIA - 11/16/2018 12:00:00 AM - 604.10135.5432.27983 Windows 10 and later drivers Drivers (Sound) 11/15/2018 n/a 627 KB

https://catalog.s.download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2019/10/9d6e54eb-1c6b-4a15-a138-d317ff6a3263_5e752cc9c868afca8b2665582745694edbf69ad8.cab

Once you have the drivers, unpack them and install using the Device Manager.

Log in or register to post comments
-->
  • X