You are here

Log in or register to post comments
slacker's picture
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: Jan 28 2013 - 6:05am
turntable phono cartridge compatability

Just looking for advice. I bought Intergrated amp KT88 tube amp
with mm input but I noticed the difference in quality between
mm / mc cartridges so my question is you cannot combine mc with
mm input so is there such a thing as a inverted mm converter into mc
converter. I am a little dissapointed in the lack of choices.
I am looking at Therons 2030 or TTW Audio Direct Servo TriBelt
Eliminator but both are MC cartridges.
My system will have Parasound A21 amp/P3 preamp Audio Space 3.1
KT88 tube intergrated amp which uses mm input / Shangling CDT200
Tube CD player into Continuo Aureleu 309 speakers

Thanks in advance
P.S first serious system so a little lost

commsysman's picture
Last seen: 4 days 22 hours ago
Joined: Apr 4 2006 - 11:33am

You have me lost too.

You say you have a "KT88" integrated amplifier with a moving coil input.

Then you say you are going to use a Parasound power amplifier and preamp.

You can't use both at the same time. Only one power amplifier can be connected to your speakers at any time. You need to decide whether to use the tube amp OR the Parasound amp.

Which are you going to use, the tube amp or solid-state amp? That doesn't make any sense, so you need to clarify exactly what is what.

I suggest that you get the Musical Fidelity V-LPS phono preamp; it is excellent and has both MM and MC inputs and its output can be connected to an input on ANY amplifier. It will work with any cartridge and amplifier.

There are MANY excellent moving coil and also many excellent moving magnet cartridges. Sonic differences will be significant between brands and types, but it is a matter of listening preferences.

If you connect a MM cartridge to an input designed for a MC cartridge, that would result in overload and distortion, because the output voltage of the MM cartridge is about 100 times too much. You should NEVER do that!

slacker's picture
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: Jan 28 2013 - 6:05am
need advice

sorry should have explained more tube amp has mm phono input .Will use solid state

for listening to classic rock and heavy metal.Tube amp for classical and jazz

especially female vocals.I will have 2 sets of speakers also.I should have 

clarified how I was to use my set up.I also have a Denon 4520C1 for my HT setup

   Sorry for the confusion

  • X