You are here

Log in or register to post comments
wickitom
wickitom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 months ago
Joined: Sep 15 2009 - 4:18pm
Which headphones are good for rock music and which for classical?

I posted earlier about which headphones to buy and which usb dac to get, right now I am just thinking of getting the CEntrance DACport and some headphones. Right now I listen through Bose Triport Headphones. I was deciding between Sennheiser HD600 / HD650 or the AKG K701/K702. My question is which headphones are better for Rock music.

Does anyone know any good reviews on the CEntrance DACport, too bad Stereophile.com didn't do a review.

struts
struts's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: Feb 1 2007 - 12:02pm
Re: Which headphones are good for rock music and which for class

I think both the HD600/650 and AKG701/702 are great all-round headphones, good for both rock and classical. Several people tossed in their perspectives on the differences in sound character in the other thread. Which you will prefer is a matter of taste which I'm afraid nobody here can decide for you.

Afaik the DACPort was only released a couple of months ago so I don't think any print mags have caught up with it yet. I saw a user review over at head-fi. Sounded very complimentary and was completely in line with Audio Rigger's comments on this board.

However IIRC you started off looking for a DAC/headphone amp that could also serve as a system preamp. The CEntrance is intended as a portable solution to connect one PC to one pair of headphones and lacks several features you would want of a system preamp. Looked from one of your comments in the other thread that you had ruled it out for that reason.

dcstep
dcstep's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Sep 16 2007 - 4:59pm
Re: Which headphones are good for rock music and which for class

You've narrowed it down to some good choices and either will do equally well with rock and classical. Get the best DAC that you can afford because all the cans you've mentioned will be ruthlessly revealing of the DAC's inadequacies. I don't know the DAC that you've mentioned, but I own the 701s and I've heard the Senns at length.

If you haven't already, look over at www.head-fi.org . I'd want to double check on your planned DAC/amplifier.

Dave

Demondog
Demondog's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: Feb 22 2009 - 5:01pm
Re: Which headphones are good for rock music and which for class

I think I might be in the minority opinion on this subject, based on what I read on some headphone forums. I've seen people go as far as list a dozen or more musical artists, in a question about which headphones would be the best choice for them.

I go about it a bit differently. I try and pick a headphone I think has good accuracy and low coloration, figuring it will work fairly well with a larger variety of music. If I wanted to vary from a neutral sound, I would base it on my personal general preference; for more or less bass for example.

My thinking comes from my belief that the sound of the recorded material I listen to varies less with the music type, than it does from recording to recording without regard to music type.

To say it another way, no matter which type of music in my collection, some recordings are brighter, some bass heavy, duller, etc..., so I would be more likely to choose different headphones based on recording characteristics, than music type, if anything. As it is, I just shoot for the middle with AKG K701.

Anyway, these are just a couple of my thoughts

Dr. Spivey
Dr. Spivey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 20 hours ago
Joined: Sep 18 2009 - 5:21pm
Re: Which headphones are good for rock music and which for class

I'm totally hooked on Sennheiser sound, and have been for decades. HD600's as my reference, and 3 small pairs for portable use. I listen to all types of music. For me, Senns really shine on acoustic music, but they do a great job on rock 'n roll as well.

I use a pair of Grado SR125's on the computer, and to play my guitar into.

Recently demoed the AKG701, very nice 'phones, but I just can't say they were better than my Senns.

Jim Tavegia
Jim Tavegia's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Sep 1 2005 - 4:27pm
Re: Which headphones are good for rock music and which for class

I have often seen the AKG 701s at good prices off Amazon retailers. There is quite a difference in the sound between the Senns and the AKGs, so make sure you are making the right decision long term for youself.

Lamont Sanford
Lamont Sanford's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: Mar 31 2006 - 8:32pm
Re: Which headphones are good for rock music and which for class

Headphones are terrible for your hearing health. Unless you are already hearing impaired.

Freako
Freako's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: Jan 17 2010 - 8:29am
Re: Which headphones are good for rock music and which for class


Quote:
Headphones are terrible for your hearing health. Unless you are already hearing impaired.

Yep, just ask someone with tinnitus. Whenever I listen on headphones for even half an hour (probably too loud) I have hissing in my ears when I go to sleep. Be careful out there!

Jim Tavegia
Jim Tavegia's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Sep 1 2005 - 4:27pm
Re: Which headphones are good for rock music and which for class

Is this the same as reading is bad for the eyes?
Maybe, listening too loud with headphones is bad for your hearing.

Elk
Elk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: Dec 26 2006 - 6:32am
Re: Which headphones are good for rock music and which for class


Quote:
Is this the same as reading is bad for the eyes?
Maybe, listening too loud with headphones is bad for your hearing.

For whatever reason (perhaps because they feel like they are not bothering others) many listen to headphones at a much higher sound pressure level than they would speakers.

JIMV
JIMV's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: Jan 31 2008 - 1:46pm
Re: Which headphones are good for rock music and which for class


Quote:
Headphones are terrible for your hearing health. Unless you are already hearing impaired.

Turn the volume down...magic.

Lamont Sanford
Lamont Sanford's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: Mar 31 2006 - 8:32pm
Re: Which headphones are good for rock music and which for class

What?

Freako
Freako's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: Jan 17 2010 - 8:29am
Re: Which headphones are good for rock music and which for class

BillB
BillB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: Aug 15 2007 - 2:04pm
Re: Which headphones are good for rock music and which for class


Quote:
For whatever reason (perhaps because they feel like they are not bothering others) many listen to headphones at a much higher sound pressure level than they would speakers.

I think people try to reproduce bass in headphones like they hear it through speakers - but it doesn't work since speakers also are vibrating/impacting the body. People turn up headphones wishing they could hear (actually, feel) more bass.

Elk
Elk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: Dec 26 2006 - 6:32am
Re: Which headphones are good for rock music and which for class

Perhaps. Good theory.

JoeE SP9
JoeE SP9's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 days ago
Joined: Oct 31 2005 - 6:02pm
Re: Which headphones are good for rock music and which for class


Quote:
I think I might be in the minority opinion on this subject, based on what I read on some headphone forums. I've seen people go as far as list a dozen or more musical artists, in a question about which headphones would be the best choice for them.

I go about it a bit differently. I try and pick a headphone I think has good accuracy and low coloration, figuring it will work fairly well with a larger variety of music. If I wanted to vary from a neutral sound, I would base it on my personal general preference; for more or less bass for example.

My thinking comes from my belief that the sound of the recorded material I listen to varies less with the music type, than it does from recording to recording without regard to music type.

To say it another way, no matter which type of music in my collection, some recordings are brighter, some bass heavy, duller, etc..., so I would be more likely to choose different headphones based on recording characteristics, than music type, if anything. As it is, I just shoot for the middle with AKG K701.

Anyway, these are just a couple of my thoughts

If you are in the minority then so am I. I hear and read the same thing about speakers.

IMO, a speaker or headphones should sound good period. They should not be selected to sound good on a narrow range of music. If that's the criteria for selecting "cans" or speakers, what's next, selecting them for a specific song by a specific artist?

A set of phones or speakers should sound good regardless of the music being played.

  • X
    Enter your Stereophile.com username.
    Enter the password that accompanies your username.
    Loading