You are here

Log in or register to post comments
scutterflux
scutterflux's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Nov 12 2007 - 10:10am
Going the distance 30ft RCA vs ???

Kind of a noob here, but
I need to go from a computer (stereo 1/8th) to Amplifier (RCA) aproximatly 20ft away from eachother. My stereo amp is kept at the front of the room, and computer at the back.
Question is this;
Is there a better way of getting the signal to my amp than running all that cable(30ft of cable vs Audio Transmitter)? Would either/or sacrafice sound quality when compared to the other? I will primarily be using this method for Home Theate and Audio Files.

Jan Vigne
Jan Vigne's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Mar 18 2006 - 12:57pm
Re: Going the distance 30ft RCA vs ???

Either should work though us old timers always prefer the hardwired option.

SAS Audio
SAS Audio's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 1 week ago
Joined: Jun 6 2007 - 6:56am
Re: Going the distance 30ft RCA vs ???

Hi Scutter,

One suggestion is to keep the cable capacitance as low as possible. It is a personal preference.

Take care.

mikeymad
mikeymad's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: May 31 2006 - 4:06pm
Re: Going the distance 30ft RCA vs ???

Welcome to the Forum Scutterflux,

There are good 1/8th -> RCA cables out there. A lot of them have been created for the portable high end world. The computer audio card would have to push a lot of cable to get it to your amp.

But if I were doing it, I would look into a Squeezebox type of device, then you get control at the listening position as well. I would hate to have to walk all the way to the computer in another room to change a song.

Cheers,

scutterflux
scutterflux's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Nov 12 2007 - 10:10am
Re: Going the distance 30ft RCA vs ???


Quote:
Hi Scutter,

One suggestion is to keep the cable capacitance as low as possible. It is a personal preference.

Take care.

I'm one of the guys who can hear the difference between cheap and not so cheap cables, now the diference between two brands of expensive cables, probably not.

Now when you say low capacitance, are you reffering to high resistance, thin guage or a low resistance thicker guage type wire? Keeping in mind this is a pretty small voltage, could you recomend a guage?

scutterflux
scutterflux's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Nov 12 2007 - 10:10am
Re: Going the distance 30ft RCA vs ???


Quote:
Welcome to the Forum Scutterflux,

There are good 1/8th -> RCA cables out there. A lot of them have been created for the portable high end world. The computer audio card would have to push a lot of cable to get it to your amp.

But if I were doing it, I would look into a Squeezebox type of device, then you get control at the listening position as well. I would hate to have to walk all the way to the computer in another room to change a song.

Cheers,

That sqeezebox looks a bit fancy for me. I'll probably just wire it in like the old timers. I will be running a pretty nice presonus soundcard 24/96 shortly, and it would definatly be cheaper to just wire it in, but you did mention about pushing allot of cable? I know in a live or recording setting balanced xlr cables are used over 20ft, I'll probably use that and solder the jacks on, as it's already sheilded and low voltage wire running inbetween. I'll have a seperate L and R outputs that way! OK, I'll be running 1/4 L to RCA and 1/4 R to RCA that ought to work.

Thanks Guys!

mikeymad
mikeymad's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: May 31 2006 - 4:06pm
Re: Going the distance 30ft RCA vs ???


Quote:
That sqeezebox looks a bit fancy for me. I'll probably just wire it in like the old timers. I will be running a pretty nice presonus soundcard 24/96 shortly, and it would definatly be cheaper to just wire it in, but you did mention about pushing allot of cable? I know in a live or recording setting balanced xlr cables are used over 20ft, I'll probably use that and solder the jacks on, as it's already sheilded and low voltage wire running inbetween. I'll have a seperate L and R outputs that way! OK, I'll be running 1/4 L to RCA and 1/4 R to RCA that ought to work.

Thanks Guys!

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

Cheers,

SAS Audio
SAS Audio's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 1 week ago
Joined: Jun 6 2007 - 6:56am
Re: Going the distance 30ft RCA vs ???

"I'm one of the guys who can hear the difference between cheap and not so cheap cables, now the diference between two brands of expensive cables, probably not.

Now when you say low capacitance, are you reffering to high resistance, thin guage or a low resistance thicker guage type wire? Keeping in mind this is a pretty small voltage, could you recomend a guage?"

Hi Scutter,

I am refering to the capacitance created by the wires (shield) and insulation between them. Some cables can have a lot more capacitance (say 475pf per meter) while others have low capacitance (say 100pf per meter as an extimation per meter). If one can, I think it would be good to have someone measure a cable you are looking at.

Three ways to lower capacitance is to use thinner wire, or separate the wire and shield with more insulation, or use a lower dielectric constant type of insulation.

Just a thought to improve sound.
Hope this helps.

Elk
Elk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: Dec 26 2006 - 6:32am
Re: Going the distance 30ft RCA vs ???

I suggest using Mogami W2549 Balanced Mic Cable. Low capacitance, shielded, made to carry delicate little microphone level signals.

I recently made a pair of 30' microphone cables with the stuff for my Beyer M160 ribbon mics. These cables are wonderful! I should have ordered it in some sort of amusing color.

Specs: http://www.mogamicable.com/Bulk/micr_cables/balanced_mic/balanced_mic.htm

A great source (good price, excellent service):
http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=493

scutterflux
scutterflux's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Nov 12 2007 - 10:10am
Re: Going the distance 30ft RCA vs ???

Cool thanks guys!
For a quick fix, until I get to the city for the cable and my other sound card comes in, was to wire it up with telephone wire Not to bad, it's a relly thin wire and perfect... 4 little wires running through the cable. soldered the ends on for now, and voila the DVD we watched last night sounded great throught the tube amp. So until I get the proper components this will do for watching movies. I should A/B to my CD player see if there's much lost in the phone Cable. I'll get back later.

SAS Audio
SAS Audio's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 1 week ago
Joined: Jun 6 2007 - 6:56am
Re: Going the distance 30ft RCA vs ???

Thanks for the links Elk.

Steve

scutterflux
scutterflux's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Nov 12 2007 - 10:10am
Re: Going the distance 30ft RCA vs ???

telephone wire is thin sounding when listening to audio, but good enough for movies. Would not recomend it for audio, you definatly loose some of the rich harmonic complexity ie warmth.

Definatly thanks for the links.

  • X
    Enter your Stereophile.com username.
    Enter the password that accompanies your username.
    Loading