Check out my new project- inspired by Stephen's quest for cleaner records, and that big batch of used LPs I got down in New Orleans recently.
I've used the VPI machines many times before, but honestly couldn't stomach the price. I don't like the Nitty Gritty approach that much, so I decided it was time for getting serious and just making my own. It turned out pretty nicely, and the total cost was around $110. Had I shopped around longer I could have found a cheaper used TT for parts, but once I get an idea for a project, I just want to get right on it. It works just as well as I had hoped and pictures plus construction details are in the DIY Gallery.
Anyone who thinks they might be interested in attempting their own, I'd be happy to give them more details.