You are here

Log in or register to post comments
Welshsox
Welshsox's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: Dec 13 2006 - 7:27pm
Off center imagery

Hi

No matter what i try with equipment i cannot seem to get away from a stereo imagery that is left biased.

Ive tried all sorts of equipment including cables and speakers. The issue is to do with the acoustics of the speaker locations. My problem is that its not that easy to relocate everything.

Is there any tricks or things that i can look for to correct this imbalance ? i dont have balance controls on my amp so its not that easy.

Thanks

Alan

ncdrawl
ncdrawl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: Oct 18 2008 - 9:18am
Re: Off center imagery


Quote:
Hi

No matter what i try with equipment i cannot seem to get away from a stereo imagery that is left biased.

Ive tried all sorts of equipment including cables and speakers. The issue is to do with the acoustics of the speaker locations. My problem is that its not that easy to relocate everything.

Is there any tricks or things that i can look for to correct this imbalance ? i dont have balance controls on my amp so its not that easy.

Thanks

Alan

Yeah... remove any items that may be in the line of sight that may focus you more towards the left. I had a huge problem with this myself. (mine was towards the right tho).My mastersound due venti has huge transformers on the right side and so my tendency was to "hear" things farther over that way..anyway, I fabricated a steel cage to go over the top so that now the amp looks like a big, symmetrical box. Have you tried canting the one speaker farther over to get the imaging just right? Ive had to do that as well.

ncdrawl
ncdrawl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: Oct 18 2008 - 9:18am
Re: Off center imagery

what does your system consist of, Alan?

cyclebrain
cyclebrain's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: Jun 16 2006 - 11:40pm
Re: Off center imagery

Two quick thoughts.
1) set up your system as a mono system. Both channels playing the same data.
2) Have your hearing tested for an imbalance.

dcstep
dcstep's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Sep 16 2007 - 4:59pm
Re: Off center imagery

You're right, I suspect that it's the room. Sometimes some very small moves forward and back from the corner and/or rear wall will significantly adjust speaker energy, without having to rearrange the whole room. I'd play with that to see if it helps.

What happens when you adjust the balance control? Does the image collapse or simply move left or right?

Dave

ncdrawl
ncdrawl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: Oct 18 2008 - 9:18am
Re: Off center imagery

Dave, he has no balance control.


Quote:
You're right, I suspect that it's the room. Sometimes some very small moves forward and back from the corner and/or rear wall will significantly adjust speaker energy, without having to rearrange the whole room. I'd play with that to see if it helps.

What happens when you adjust the balance control? Does the image collapse or simply move left or right?

Dave

Jan Vigne
Jan Vigne's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Mar 18 2006 - 12:57pm
Re: Off center imagery


Quote:
Yeah... remove any items that may be in the line of sight that may focus you more towards the left.

Before you start moving furniture, just close your eyes. What happens to the center image?

Have you swapped channels starting with the speakers and working your way back to the source? I would suspect a room problem more than an equipment problem, but you need to rule out various possibilities before you can begin to narrow down what will be left - no pun intended.

ethanwiner
ethanwiner's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Sep 1 2005 - 2:26pm
Re: Off center imagery


Quote:
The issue is to do with the acoustics of the speaker locations.


It will help a lot if you post a photo of the front of the room, taken from as far back as you can manage to show as much as possible in one shot.

--Ethan

Welshsox
Welshsox's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: Dec 13 2006 - 7:27pm
Re: Off center imagery

Ill organise a picture but i dont have a camera handy.

The system is Marantz TT, Musical fidelity M3 integrated, Marantz SA8003 and Dynaudio focus 220's. Ive had all sort sof equipment and swapped everything around to a point that ive got 100% different equipment and the issue is still there.

Im pretty sure its not my hearing as i dont experience the same thing on home theatre systems or other systems i listen to. I know its not convential but the system is in the bedroom, reading the posts it sounds like the issue is the speaker location.

If it is the speaker location and my primary listening position is basically lying on the bed reading or relaxing, what would be the best option ?

Please be gentle on the bedroom thing, i grew up in a house where i was only allowed music in the bedroom and it has sort of stuck with me !!

Alan

j_j
j_j's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: Mar 13 2009 - 4:22pm
Re: Off center imagery


Quote:

Quote:
The issue is to do with the acoustics of the speaker locations.


It will help a lot if you post a photo of the front of the room, taken from as far back as you can manage to show as much as possible in one shot.

--Ethan

Indeed. First reflections from a specular surface on either side can do this, it's not even necessarily the side with a reflection that the image moves toward, but that is usually the case. (depends on time delay, speaker radiation pattern, etc)

ethanwiner
ethanwiner's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Sep 1 2005 - 2:26pm
Re: Off center imagery


Quote:
If it is the speaker location and my primary listening position is basically lying on the bed reading or relaxing, what would be the best option ?


The best option is the one that makes the room and where you listen symmetrical. All such problems are due to lack of symmetry. That, or maybe a broken tweeter on one side.

--Ethan

Freako
Freako's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: Jan 17 2010 - 8:29am
Re: Off center imagery

I had the same problem as Alan. This solved my problem, as proposed by another poster: Sometimes some very small moves forward and back from the corner and/or rear wall will significantly adjust speaker energy...

bertdw
bertdw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 4 days ago
Joined: Sep 18 2007 - 5:41am
Re: Off center imagery

It could also be the listening position. My listening room is the living room. If I sit in a normal "living room" position, I have an opening into the dining room behind and to the left of me, and a room corner behind and to the right. The imaging is off balance to the right. However, if I move forward to my "audiophile listening" position, the balance is very close to centered. If this is part of your problem, move the bed?

  • X
    Enter your Stereophile.com username.
    Enter the password that accompanies your username.
    Loading