You are here

Log in or register to post comments
kana813
kana813's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: Sep 9 2005 - 2:45pm
Slim Devices SB3

It will be a month before my September issue shows up,
what were JA's jitter measurements on the SB3?

Did he measure jitter on the SPDIF output?

Editor
Editor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: Sep 1 2005 - 8:56am
Re: Slim Devices SB3


Quote:
Did he measure jitter on the SPDIF output?

As I have already told you via email, I have no means of measuring jitter directly on a devices's digital output. So no, I did not measure jitter in the SB3's digital output.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

kana813
kana813's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: Sep 9 2005 - 2:45pm
Re: Slim Devices SB3


Quote:

Quote:
Did he measure jitter on the SPDIF output?

As I have already told you via email, I have no means of
measuring jitter directly on a devices's digital output. So no, I did not measure jitter in the SB3's digital output.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

JA-

I understand this, but using a reference DAC, you do have the ability to compare it to other transports/digital sources, as you did in your Apple AE review:

"However, this performance becomes moot when the AE's digital output is used. The grayed-out trace in fig.7 shows a similar spectral analysis of the Musical Fidelity X-DACV3's analog output while it was driven by the AirPort Express via the Monster TosLink cable. The noise floor has dropped by 4

silvertone
silvertone's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 6 days ago
Joined: Aug 9 2006 - 6:44pm
Re: Slim Devices SB3

The above method could also be used to indirectly measure jitter of several digital cables. It wouldn't be a direct measurement, but a measurement with respect to a 'reference' setup where the only changing variable would be the digital cable. Furthermore, it could help us see if in fact there is a correlation between measured jitter and what we perceived to be a better soundig digital cable. This sounds like a fun/instructive experiment to me.

nastir
nastir's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Sep 8 2005 - 6:58pm
Re: Slim Devices SB3

Nice review on the Squeezebox. Now we need a f/u using a linear PSU, and obviously a thorough review of the Transporter once available!

Editor
Editor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: Sep 1 2005 - 8:56am
Re: Slim Devices SB3


Quote:
Nice review on the Squeezebox.

Thanks. I will be doing a further examination on the SB3's jitter but as it performs quite well via its analog outputs in this respect, I don't think those using its S/PDIF output into an outboard DAC need to worry.


Quote:
Now we need a f/u using a linear PSU, and obviously a thorough review of the Transporter once available!

That's the plan.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

kana813
kana813's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: Sep 9 2005 - 2:45pm
Re: Slim Devices SB3


Quote:

Thanks. I will be doing a further examination on the SB3's jitter but as it performs quite well via its analog outputs in this respect, I don't think those using its S/PDIF output into an outboard DAC need to worry.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

According to info posted on the SD forum:

Jitter measurement using Audio Precision equipment were:

SB3 digital coax out jitter: ~99ps

SB3 digital optical out jitter: ~892ps

To optimize S/PDIF output performance, the SB3 needs to be set for fixed digital output and then go into the web interface's player's settings, click on "Audio," set the Preamp Volume Control to 63.0, and then mute the analog outputs.

Editor
Editor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: Sep 1 2005 - 8:56am
Re: Slim Devices SB3


Quote:
According to info posted on the SD forum:
Jitter measurement using Audio Precision equipment were:
SB3 digital coax out jitter: ~99ps
SB3 digital optical out jitter: ~892ps

I will check it out. But without knowing what the measurement conditions were, it is difficult to draw meaningful conclusions from jitter measurements.


Quote:
To optimize S/PDIF output performance, the SB3 needs to be set for fixed digital output and then go into the web interface's player's settings, click on "Audio," set the Preamp Volume Control to 63.0, and then mute the analog outputs.

I will check this out, also. Thank you.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

ezkcdude
ezkcdude's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Apr 12 2006 - 1:06pm
Re: Slim Devices SB3


Quote:

the SB3 needs to be set for fixed digital output

Whether it "needs" this or not is a matter of rampant speculation right now. It is always interesting to me that when a tweak like this comes along, there are always exactly two camps. A) Those who think the tweak improves the sound or B) those who can't hear any change. Ask yourself this, why is it that nobody every reports the tweak makes it sound worse? If there is actually a difference, given the subjective nature of audiophile preferences, don't you think at least one person would find the "change" negative?

kana813
kana813's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: Sep 9 2005 - 2:45pm
Re: Slim Devices SB3


Quote:

Quote:

the SB3 needs to be set for fixed digital output

Whether it "needs" this or not is a matter of rampant speculation right now. It is always interesting to me that when a tweak like this comes along, there are always exactly two camps. A) Those who think the tweak improves the sound or B) those who can't hear any change. Ask yourself this, why is it that nobody every reports the tweak makes it sound worse? If there is actually a difference, given the subjective nature of audiophile preferences, don't you think at least one person would find the "change" negative?

Wow, dude, like that's so profound.

LM2940
LM2940's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: May 16 2006 - 10:36am
Re: Slim Devices SB3


Quote:
It is always interesting to me that when a tweak like this comes along, there are always exactly two camps. A) Those who think the tweak improves the sound or B) those who can't hear any change. Ask yourself this, why is it that nobody every reports the tweak makes it sound worse? If there is actually a difference, given the subjective nature of audiophile preferences, don't you think at least one person would find the "change" negative?

I've always wondered about that as well.
There is much psychology at work in this hobby. The trick is to keep a level head and a full wallet.

Editor
Editor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: Sep 1 2005 - 8:56am
Re: Slim Devices SB3


Quote:
To optimize S/PDIF output performance, the SB3 needs to be set for fixed digital output...

One thing I didn't emphasize in my review, possibly because I forgot the SB3 has a variable output, is that I did all my auditioning, both from the analog outputs and the S/PDIF output, with the output level set to Fixed.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

  • X
    Enter your Stereophile.com username.
    Enter the password that accompanies your username.
    Loading