You are here

Log in or register to post comments
Downforce
Downforce's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: Aug 15 2012 - 9:36am
Reassembling a (rather vintage) system, in need of some sage advice!!

I’m putting my system back together after a move and want to do some minor changes up to new components if you knowledgeable folks deem them wise!  Budget is capped at $1,000, including a decent equipment rack/table and two speaker stands. I normally split my listening time about 50/50 between vinyl and CDs, and most of my music is classic and hard rock.

Receivers:  Sony STR-DE305, or a Sherwood RX-4103? The Sony has a phono preamp.

Speakers:  Cambridge Soundworks Model Six

 

CD player:  Sony CDP-XE500 single player.  I like it as it has a remote and is programmable.

 

Turntable:  Denon DP-26F fully automatic in need of a new drive belt.  It has a defeatable preamp.  I like fully automatic or semi-automatic tables, but that is secondary to sound. Leaning toward the new Orbit, depending on when it’s available and a Stephen Meijas review.

 

Phono cartridge: no idea, want to limit the budget to $100.  Turntable must have a preinstalled cartridge, I’ve read enough horror stories on cartridge setup!

 

Speaker stands:  on the suggestion of a poster, want heavy, metal stands and not wood ones that are prevalent here in the Seoul, South Korea audio markets.

 

Speaker cables:  looking for cables with installed connectors. Speakers have binding posts, while both receivers have simple spring clips.  Are pin connectors acceptable for both ends?

 

Vinyl cleaner:  an old Orbitrac 2 with rubber mats and a rotating brush. Any suggestions?

 

Room and acoustics:  room is about 16 X 14 feet, ceilings are only 8 feet and walls are hard, cement or concrete.  Only furniture is a large couch opposite the system location.  Speakers will be placed about 10 feet apart.

 

System placement: the system will be on a rack/table along with a 46 inch LCD flat screen, a modem, a router and a satellite TV box.  Can these other components create interference?

jackfish
jackfish's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: Dec 19 2005 - 2:42pm
Your budget is very low so you might consider used to get to an.

entry level audiophile system.

Downforce wrote:

Receivers:  Sony STR-DE305, or a Sherwood RX-4103? The Sony has a phono preamp.

The Sony is likely better than the Sherwood, but neither are very good.

Quote:

Speakers:  Cambridge Soundworks Model Six

Should be servicable.

 

Quote:

CD player:  Sony CDP-XE500 single player.  I like it as it has a remote and is programmable.

Should be OK, if used get a CD laser cleaning disk.

 

Quote:

Turntable:  Denon DP-26F fully automatic in need of a new drive belt.  It has a defeatable preamp.  I like fully automatic or semi-automatic tables, but that is secondary to sound. Leaning toward the new Orbit, depending on when it’s available and a Stephen Meijas review.

The Orbit will be available soon. Likely can't be beat for $150, but might be able to do better used.

 

Quote:

Phono cartridge: no idea, want to limit the budget to $100.  Turntable must have a preinstalled cartridge, I’ve read enough horror stories on cartridge setup!

The Orbit comes with a passable cartridge.

 

Quote:

Speaker stands:  on the suggestion of a poster, want heavy, metal stands and not wood ones that are prevalent here in the Seoul, South Korea audio markets.

Find steel stands that are fillable with sand.

 

Quote:

Speaker cables:  looking for cables with installed connectors. Speakers have binding posts, while both receivers have simple spring clips.  Are pin connectors acceptable for both ends?

monoprice.com, bare end speaker wire will be accommodated by both spring clips terminals and binding posts.

 

Quote:

Vinyl cleaner:  an old Orbitrac 2 with rubber mats and a rotating brush. Any suggestions?

Spin Clean

 

Quote:

Room and acoustics:  room is about 16 X 14 feet, ceilings are only 8 feet and walls are hard, cement or concrete.  Only furniture is a large couch opposite the system location.  Speakers will be placed about 10 feet apart.

If this is a dedicated listening room, place your speakers ala Cardas http://www.cardas.com/room_setup.php

 

Quote:

System placement: the system will be on a rack/table along with a 46 inch LCD flat screen, a modem, a router and a satellite TV box.  Can these other components create interference?

With sheilded cables and some separation of components shouldn't be a problem.

Downforce
Downforce's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: Aug 15 2012 - 9:36am
thanks Jackfish! excellent advice...

...looks like I'll be buying an integrated amp, then.  Stereophile had a glowing review of the NAD C316BEE, but some research is in order. Getting new gear here in Korea is problematic, even though there is a very large and well stocked audiophile marketplace in Seoul. Local prices are high, plus there are mailing restrictions and customs charges to consider.

  • X
    Enter your Stereophile.com username.
    Enter the password that accompanies your username.
    Loading