You are here

Log in or register to post comments
pfgray2008
pfgray2008's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Joined: Oct 14 2011 - 3:03pm
Please help in answering a Noob computer Audio questions.

Ok I’m exhaustively confused at this point with Computer audio could someone answer a few questions for a noob. I’ve have in my possession a Musical Fidelity Musical Fidelity M1DAC-A and M1 HPA AMP along with Peachtree Decco2. I’m not sure which one to purchase given price difference vs. usefulness $1600 and $600. But that’s not what I’m questioning at moment. What I need help with is the following.

Does the Peachtree line of DACs such as Decco2 automatically up sample any signal to 24-bit, 96 kHz? Since there is no interface on the front panel I have no idea if up sampling is occurring.

Which port offers a better signal path an Audio USB cable or Toshlink Cable? It’s would seem Peachtree neglected to mention that their USB connection is limited to 16 Bit 44.kHz. But the toshlink is capable 96/192kHz? Does that even matter if signal/data is up sampled?

What’s the correct setting for sample rates in the default format tab in Windows 7 Sound tab. If I’m listening to Redbook quality 16/44.1 kHz music sample do I set the rate on my DAC to match it or do I change it to higher setting 24/96kHz or 24/192kHz?

I’ve read that ITunes offers downloads of music files at 24/96kHz but I can’t seem to find that section on their site for this option.

Do major record labels today even offer a wide selection of 24bit High-res either through download or disc?

I’ve check all the online guides I could find for computer audio setup but still confused about windows 7 configuration and Itunes does anyone have guide they and send me too. I’ve already used guide by Benchmark, The Well-Tempered Computer, wavelength, sweetwater.com.

If a DAC upsamples 16 Bit CD to 96 kHz is there any noticeable difference and audio file that’s already sampled at 96kHz? Will the DAC recognize the file doesn’t need up sampling?

Does ITunes still have an issue playing various sample rates? I read somewhere that it only locks onto the first item played and the only way to play next song would be to close the program and reopen it is that correct?

Phil
Phil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: Dec 14 2011 - 3:05pm
Hi Pfgray, This is my first

Hi Pfgray, This is my first post so hope that I can be of some help. Having heard them all I would strongly recommend the M1 DAC-A. It will happily take up to 24/96 on the USB and 192 on the Coaxial and Toslink inputs. Secondly I would be more inclined for PC audio to run with USB as optical/toslink will offer alot more jitter than the ASync USB connection.

In regards to playback I would advise not using iTunes for playback, instead try foobar2k and download the wasapi.dll plugin for it. This will bypass the windows 7 output selector so you won't have to keep going to the windows settings select what type of file you are playing. With the M1 DAC it upsamples EVERYTHING to 24/192 and will auto recognise all the samples rates it is fed be it over USB, Coaxial or Optical. If you NEED 24/192 and not many people do then you can buy the V-Link 192 at a later date to pass 24/192 files into the M1 DAC however many will probably state that 24/192 is noisier than 24/96, something I have experienced and heard with the Colorfly C4 when changing the upsampling rates.

High definition downloads are currently few and far between, HD-Tracks in the US probably offers at the moment the greatest selection, but don't expect new releases to come out in High Definition just yet.

Regards

jazzfan
jazzfan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 day ago
Joined: Sep 8 2005 - 8:55am
Comments
Phil wrote:

Hi Pfgray, This is my first post so hope that I can be of some help. Having heard them all I would strongly recommend the M1 DAC-A. It will happily take up to 24/96 on the USB and 192 on the Coaxial and Toslink inputs. Secondly I would be more inclined for PC audio to run with USB as optical/toslink will offer alot more jitter than the ASync USB connection.

Could you please provide proof of the second part of this statement, i.e. that ASync USB has lower jitter than optical/toslink before this nonsense just becomes yet another audiophile myth.

Phil wrote:

In regards to playback I would advise not using iTunes for playback, instead try foobar2k and download the wasapi.dll plugin for it. This will bypass the windows 7 output selector so you won't have to keep going to the windows settings select what type of file you are playing. With the M1 DAC it upsamples EVERYTHING to 24/192 and will auto recognise all the samples rates it is fed be it over USB, Coaxial or Optical. If you NEED 24/192 and not many people do then you can buy the V-Link 192 at a later date to pass 24/192 files into the M1 DAC however many will probably state that 24/192 is noisier than 24/96, something I have experienced and heard with the Colorfly C4 when changing the upsampling rates.

Good call since iTunes is one of the worst music library management and playback programs currently available.

Phil wrote:

High definition downloads are currently few and far between, HD-Tracks in the US probably offers at the moment the greatest selection, but don't expect new releases to come out in High Definition just yet.

Regards

Beware of HDTracks! Many of their "high definition" offerings are either upsampled redbook recordings or have heavy dynamic range compression or both! Personally I'm not giving HDTracks another penny of my money until they clean up their act.

  • X
    Enter your Stereophile.com username.
    Enter the password that accompanies your username.
    Loading