You are here

Log in or register to post comments
juanmtamayo
juanmtamayo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 9 months ago
Joined: May 16 2008 - 3:16pm
Nuforce Icon Amp

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to build a reasonable audio setup for around $300~$400 for my dorm. All I need is a single input, which will come from either my laptop or an Airport express.

My plan right now is a pair of Infinity Primus 162 ($160/pair) and a Nuforce Icon Amp (30W/ch, $190).

What's your opinion? I'm aware of other good speaker options around that price, but I know of no other amp options.

Thanks!

Juan

JSBach
JSBach's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Nov 28 2008 - 1:25am
Re: Nuforce Icon Amp


Quote:
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to build a reasonable audio setup for around $300~$400 for my dorm. All I need is a single input, which will come from either my laptop or an Airport express.

My plan right now is a pair of Infinity Primus 162 ($160/pair) and a Nuforce Icon Amp (30W/ch, $190).

What's your opinion? I'm aware of other good speaker options around that price, but I know of no other amp options.

Thanks!

Juan


Good choice of amplifier if your speakers are efficient. (You might also like to look into by-passing a stand alone amp and look at active speakers.)
Where are you going to mount the speakers? This, and the requirement for efficiency could dictate which are, and more importantly which aren't, the right speakers for your situation.
Next question:- where are you situated? The availability of audio components in your area &/or the cost of mailing web purchased gear enters into the equation these days.
Final question:- do you have any DIY skills such as being able to solder or build speaker enclosures?
Welcome to the forum anyhow.

jackfish
jackfish's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: Dec 19 2005 - 2:42pm
Re: Nuforce Icon Amp

That looks pretty good to me. The Infinity Primus P162 are well regarded and for an economy solution for a small space you can't really go wrong with them. Their sensitivity rating of 90dB/2.83V/1m indicates they should work adequately with the Icon (18 wpc into 8 Ohms). http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1007inf/

JIMV
JIMV's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: Jan 31 2008 - 1:46pm
Re: Nuforce Icon Amp

For info, Amazon is selling the NuForce for $179 at the moment.

juanmtamayo
juanmtamayo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 9 months ago
Joined: May 16 2008 - 3:16pm
Re: Nuforce Icon Amp


Quote:

Good choice of amplifier if your speakers are efficient. (You might also like to look into by-passing a stand alone amp and look at active speakers.)
Where are you going to mount the speakers? This, and the requirement for efficiency could dictate which are, and more importantly which aren't, the right speakers for your situation.
Next question:- where are you situated? The availability of audio components in your area &/or the cost of mailing web purchased gear enters into the equation these days.
Final question:- do you have any DIY skills such as being able to solder or build speaker enclosures?
Welcome to the forum anyhow.

I was considering some flavor of active speakers, but decided that a separate amplifier would give me more flexibility in the future.

About the location, I'd like to use my desktop, if only because I don't have speaker stands. I could consider building/buying stands in the future, though.

I live in San Francisco/Bay Area.

Finally, I'm a good DIYer, but I don't have much free time to invest in building complex speakers from scratch.


Quote:

That looks pretty good to me. The Infinity Primus P162 are well regarded and for an economy solution for a small space you can't really go wrong with them. Their sensitivity rating of 90dB/2.83V/1m indicates they should work adequately with the Icon (18 wpc into 8 Ohms). http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1007inf/

I'm glad to hear that. Now that you mention it, I see I misread the specs for the Icon Amp. 18 Wpc should hopefully be sufficient for my needs, though.

satkinsn
satkinsn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: Aug 19 2008 - 4:23am
Re: Nuforce Icon Amp

FWIW, I have successfully, happily powered your speakers with tiny Tripath amps, so I can't imagine the NuForce being an issue. The 162 is a good speaker - I'll bet you like the results.

Scott A.
Watertown NY

edit - However, they're a bit big for some desktops. The smaller 152s are also good and take up less real estate.

RGibran
RGibran's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: Oct 11 2005 - 5:50pm
Re: Nuforce Icon Amp

Here's another amp option I would strongly consider. The Nuforce Icon II Integrated Desktop Amp. I know you said you only needed one input, but for 70 bucks more you get a 24/96 USB dac which most asuredly would provide upgraded sound quality over analog feeds from your laptop or Airport Express. Handy iPod input and a subwoofer output which your eventually going to want. Lastly, future expansion abilities as the unit could be utilized as a preamp/dac and attached to a more powerful amp if the system grows.

Something to consider. Have fun and let us know how you get on!

jackfish
jackfish's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: Dec 19 2005 - 2:42pm
Re: Nuforce Icon Amp

The NuForce Icon II is $349 everywhere so it is $170 more than the NuForce Icon Amp ($189 list, $179 at Amazon). The NuForce Icon with the DAC ($249 list) is less powerful with only 12 wpc.

RGibran
RGibran's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: Oct 11 2005 - 5:50pm
Re: Nuforce Icon Amp

Thanks for the name clarification. That's a whole lotta Icon's! Not sure the 6 watt difference is a dealbreaker. What would you do, Jack?

dbowker
dbowker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 13 hours ago
Joined: May 8 2007 - 6:37am
Re: Nuforce Icon Amp

If you can swing it, I'd go exactly with the suggestion rgibran had.

jackfish
jackfish's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: Dec 19 2005 - 2:42pm
Re: Nuforce Icon Amp

I'd save up for the Icon II. I agree the DAC, pre outs and sub out would be worth it. Its unclear weather the 12 wpc of the Icon is into 4 Ohms or not as impedance is not specified. If it is 4 Ohms then one would see about 9 wpc into 8 Ohms. Probably still enough for a dorm room with those speakers but I'd like a little headroom with the Icon II.

Jim Tavegia
Jim Tavegia's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Sep 1 2005 - 4:27pm
Re: Nuforce Icon Amp

I would go audition if you can the Sony STR-DH100 100 watt per channel receiver (FM) included for $149 at www.jr.com. It may not be "techy", but later will make a great second system and will drive just about any speakers you might pair it with.

High end? Probably not, but neither will most other options under $200. I have used an older version in a 4th system in our living room for years and never once had guests complain about what they were listening to. Of course that does make one wonder what THEY listen to. Just my 2 cents.

There are also some other good recevier choices at www.accessories4less.com Click "home audio" on the less and scroll down to "receivers". Most are under $200.00. Plus you can listen to your campus FM radio station on it.

RGibran
RGibran's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: Oct 11 2005 - 5:50pm
Re: Nuforce Icon Amp


Quote:
Its unclear weather the 12 wpc of the Icon is into 4 Ohms or not as impedance is not specified.

From the Stereophile review, JA's measurements:

"Into 8 ohms, the amplifier reaches 1% THD, our usual definition of clipping, at 8.5W (9.3dBW), and doesn't reach its specified maximum output power of 12Wpc (10.8dBW) until just below 3% THD"

jackfish
jackfish's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: Dec 19 2005 - 2:42pm
Re: Nuforce Icon Amp

Gee, 8.5 watts is about 9 watts confirming my suspicion that the 12 wpc output rating (impedance not specified) for the NuForce Icon is into 4 Ohms (inferred from comparing the incomplete Icon specs with the Icon II and Icon Amp specs). For the Infinity Primus P162s I'd want the 18 wpc into 8 Ohms of the NuForce Icon II or NuForce Icon Amp even in a dorm room.

jackfish
jackfish's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: Dec 19 2005 - 2:42pm
Re: Nuforce Icon Amp

Jim's suggestion of an inexpensive receiver like the Sony, TEAC, Sherwood or Insignia is also worthy of consideration, but is obviously taking one in another direction as far as integrating the sources.

RGibran
RGibran's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: Oct 11 2005 - 5:50pm
Re: Nuforce Icon Amp

Jack, I understand. But I fear we are pushing the budget with the Nova II. We need to remember he

jackfish
jackfish's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: Dec 19 2005 - 2:42pm
Re: Nuforce Icon Amp

Yeah, you may be right as it was mentioned before that even a Tripath did OK with the P162s. In any event with the Icon an upgrade path is secured with the preamp and subwoofer outputs. I see a Parasound Zamp the OP's future!

  • X
    Enter your Stereophile.com username.
    Enter the password that accompanies your username.
    Loading