Music Lovers and Musical Surroundings, Or: 5 Things About 4pm on Saturday
1. I had never seen speakers spread so far apart.
2. I had never seen a room that could make the Wilson Audio MAXX Series 3 loudspeakers look small.
3. By 4pm on Saturday afternoon, which is when I made it to this room, just about everyone at the California Audio Show was in a very loose mood (and getting looser).
4. The source was a Clearaudio Innovation Wood (ha, he said “Wood”) turntable with a Graham Phantom II Supreme tonearm and Benz Micro LP S-MR cartridge. The phono stage was the all-tube Aesthetix 10 Eclipse, the amplification was from Spectral, and the cables were from MIT.
5. The sound was surprisingly focused, gentle, and nuanced, as though those speakers weren’t a million miles away from one another, as though the room wasn’t so impossible after all, as though some very intelligent and careful people had taken the time to properly place those speakers in that impossible room.
Share | |