You are here

Log in or register to post comments
jeres8860
jeres8860's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: Jun 5 2012 - 11:21am
Marantz Pm5004 or Harman Kardon HK3490 - HEAVY EMPHASIS ON VINYL

Hi,

 

I want to upgrade my receiver/amp and am seriously considering both the Marantz PM5004 or the Harman Kardon HK3490. The main reason for the upgrade (from an aging 5.1 Denon receiver) is to produce better, more detailed sound with my vinyl records. I have a great amount of music on my computer that I transfer over to my setero with Apple's airport express, but, like I said, the upgrade is to produce better sound with my vinyl records. I am currently using Pro-ject's debut III with Pro-ject's phono box II.

 

I would really appreciate your opinions on these 2 machines and also, if you believe this will make a big difference to the sound I get form my current stereo.

 

Thanks so much

 

jackfish
jackfish's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: Dec 19 2005 - 2:42pm
Most any good stereo integrated amplifier will have a better

audio section than a home theater receiver. It looks like your budget is around $500. You also wouldn't need a unit with a phono input as the ProJect Phono Box II is a competent phono stage. While both the Marantz and HK have their attributes, I would also look into the Music Hall A15.2. Even though it does have a phono section, it has a simplicity and feature set which make it to my mind worth considering.

jeres8860
jeres8860's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: Jun 5 2012 - 11:21am
Thanks for the reply

First question is: would it make any sense to use my phono box with an amp that has a phono input?

What about the Music hall makes it a better buy over the marantz Pm5004?

Thanks,

jackfish
jackfish's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: Dec 19 2005 - 2:42pm
You're welcome.
jeres8860 wrote:

First question is: would it make any sense to use my phono box with an amp that has a phono input?

Yes, it is likely to be better than an onboard phono stage of an integrated amp. You would just connect it through a line level input like AUX.

jeres8860 wrote:

What about the Music hall makes it a better buy over the marantz Pm5004?

More power, better preamp and power amp sections, and sounds better from what I can remember.

commsysman
commsysman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 21 hours ago
Joined: Apr 4 2006 - 11:33am
AMPLIFIER

I recommend the Music Hall A15.2.

It is really an excellent amplifier for the money IMO.

 

 

 

 

jeres8860 wrote:

Hi,

 

I want to upgrade my receiver/amp and am seriously considering both the Marantz PM5004 or the Harman Kardon HK3490. The main reason for the upgrade (from an aging 5.1 Denon receiver) is to produce better, more detailed sound with my vinyl records. I have a great amount of music on my computer that I transfer over to my setero with Apple's airport express, but, like I said, the upgrade is to produce better sound with my vinyl records. I am currently using Pro-ject's debut III with Pro-ject's phono box II.

 

I would really appreciate your opinions on these 2 machines and also, if you believe this will make a big difference to the sound I get form my current stereo.

 

Thanks so much

 

bierfeldt
bierfeldt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 17 hours ago
Joined: Oct 26 2007 - 2:30pm
Check out the NAD 326BEE

I just demo'd this and was impressed.  Sounds very warm and at my local dealer, they had it for $499.  It doesn't have a phono stage but that clearly isn't an issue. 

  • X
    Enter your Stereophile.com username.
    Enter the password that accompanies your username.
    Loading