You are here

Log in or register to post comments
richgrohl
richgrohl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: Dec 30 2013 - 11:06pm
AT-LP120 USB TT Speaker and Amp recommendations.

Hi! new member here and my first time posting. I recently bought an Audio Technica LP-120 USB turntable I was wondering if anyone here can recommend a good Amplifier and Speakers  that would work well with my turntable. Please note that I'm currently living in Malaysia in a small room and that this is my first time building a setup. My budget is $500 but would like to spend less so i can buy more Vinyl records.

Also I found these while browsing online and was wondering if they are any good.

Speaker :
Q Acoustics 2020i (which cost around 365 USD in Malaysia)
Micca MB42 Bookshelf speakers

Amp :
Denon PMA 520ae
Lepai LP-2020A Tripath Class T (was wondering if this mini amp will suffice)

 

commsysman
commsysman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 4 hours ago
Joined: Apr 4 2006 - 11:33am
SYSTEM CHOICES

I recommend the Pioneer BS-22 speakers, which should only cost under $200 and are very good.

I would not recommend the Lepai amplifier.

You might want to look for an amplifier from NAD, if that is in your price range.

Otherwise, the Denon is probably OK.

richgrohl
richgrohl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: Dec 30 2013 - 11:06pm
NAD amp?
commsysman wrote:

I recommend the Pioneer BS-22 speakers, which should only cost under $200 and are very good.

I would not recommend the Lepai amplifier.

You might want to look for an amplifier from NAD, if that is in your price range.

Otherwise, the Denon is probably OK.

 

Thanks for the response.
I decided to take your recommendation Pioneer BS-22 for speakers as it seems really great for the price basing from all the feedbacks I've read about it. However I'm having a hard time getting a pair locally here in Malaysia because for some weird reason I don't know. Pioneer Malaysia does not offer BS-22 as stand alone unit, they only offer it thru package (http://www.pioneer.my/productList/default.asp?CatalogId=210&Page=1 ) 

While for the Integrated Amp, I'm not really sure which model from NAD is best for my setup. My budget for the integrated Amp is around $150-$250 but again would like to spend less if possible so I can buy more records. I'm open to other brand/model suggestions.

richgrohl
richgrohl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: Dec 30 2013 - 11:06pm
TT setup.

Also wondering if below setup would work fine.

Pioneer BS-22
Pro-Ject Phono Box S
Qinpu A-6000 MKII
Audio Technica LP160

commsysman
commsysman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 4 hours ago
Joined: Apr 4 2006 - 11:33am
AMPLIFIER OR RECEIVER.

I would not recommend that amplifier, except for headphone use; the power is way too low.

You might want to look at the Harman-Kardon 3390 stereo receiver as a possible amplifier. It has a built-in phono stage, which would save the cost of buying a separate one. Amazon and B & H Photo are selling it for $240 now.

Is it available to you?

That is a pretty good price for a good-sounding 80Wpc amplifier with the phono stage included.

 

 

richgrohl wrote:

Also wondering if below setup would work fine.

Pioneer BS-22
Pro-Ject Phono Box S
Qinpu A-6000 MKII
Audio Technica LP160

richgrohl
richgrohl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: Dec 30 2013 - 11:06pm
Speaker wires?
commsysman wrote:

I would not recommend that amplifier, except for headphone use; the power is way too low.

You might want to look at the Harman-Kardon 3390 stereo receiver as a possible amplifier. It has a built-in phono stage, which would save the cost of buying a separate one. Amazon and B & H Photo are selling it for $240 now.

Is it available to you?

That is a pretty good price for a good-sounding 80Wpc amplifier with the phono stage included.

 

Thank you for your input. I think I'm all set, I plan to order the speaker and amp together. Lastly I just like to ask regarding speaker cable/wires. Do i need to pick a certain kind separately or does the speakers or amp already comes with stock wires I can use?

Bill B
Bill B's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: Jul 28 2012 - 1:59pm
wires

the amp and speakers typically do NOT include speaker cable wires.  I suggest hooking them up with standard speaker wire to start (minimum 16 gauge [thickness])*, which is readily available in hardware stores, electronics stores, on-line at Amazon or elsewhere, OR get speaker cables from Monoprice (good quality for cheap).  Later, you can experiment with more expensive speaker cables,and see if the difference is worth it to you.  The basic cables you start with will be your baseline for comparison.

 

* you may already know that the larger the gauge number, the thinner the wire.  E.g. 22 gauge is way thinner than 14 gauge.

  • X
    Enter your Stereophile.com username.
    Enter the password that accompanies your username.
    Loading