You are here

Log in or register to post comments
dcstep
dcstep's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Sep 16 2007 - 4:59pm
How's the SqueezeBox Touch at playing LossLess files

I'm seriously considering the SB as a receiver to digital-out to port files into the DAC of my Playback Designs MPS-5. I was almost ready to order based on Kal's review when I read several negative reviews at Amazon citing very poor performance at handling LossLess files. I have a mix of FLAC and LossLess files, so this would be a serious issue for me.

Kal, did you try the SB with any LossLess files?

Thanks,

Dave

bertdw
bertdw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: Sep 18 2007 - 5:41am
Re: How's the SqueezeBox Touch at playing LossLess files

I use FLAC files almost exclusively for my Squeezebox Duet. No problems at all. I run wireless, by the way.

What's a "LossLess" file? Is it something other than lossless, as in Free Lossless Audio Codec? (FLAC)

Kal Rubinson
Kal Rubinson's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 25 min ago
Joined: Sep 1 2005 - 9:34am
Re: How's the SqueezeBox Touch at playing LossLess files


Quote:
I'm seriously considering the SB as a receiver to digital-out to port files into the DAC of my Playback Designs MPS-5. I was almost ready to order based on Kal's review when I read several negative reviews at Amazon citing very poor performance at handling LossLess files. I have a mix of FLAC and LossLess files, so this would be a serious issue for me.

Kal, did you try the SB with any LossLess files?

??? Is LossLess something different from lossless? Is it something proprietary to Amazon? Do they sell something other than MP3?

All of the recordings I have are lossless. Some at CD resolution but most at higher resolutions up to 24/192, even though the Touch will downsample them to 24/96.

dcstep
dcstep's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Sep 16 2007 - 4:59pm
Re: How's the SqueezeBox Touch at playing LossLess files

Thanks Kal.

I'm talking about the Apple iTunes format called LossLess. It has nothing to do with Amazon. Lots of people use it for their iPods, iPads, AppleTV, etc. It's proprietery to Apple and part of their never-ending quest to generate formats that only work well on their own machines.

I actually get very good results with it, playing my iPod 150G through the crappy little Wadia 170i using its digital-out into my Playback Designs.

My concern developed because several consumer/reviewers reported reduced sound quality and even skipping when playing LossLess files through the SB.

Kal Rubinson
Kal Rubinson's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 25 min ago
Joined: Sep 1 2005 - 9:34am
Re: How's the SqueezeBox Touch at playing LossLess files


Quote:
I'm talking about the Apple iTunes format called LossLess. It has nothing to do with Amazon. Lots of people use it for their iPods, iPads, AppleTV, etc. It's proprietery to Apple and part of their never-ending quest to generate formats that only work well on their own machines.

Ah. Now I know what you are talking about. However, I have not used iTunes in a while and I have never used an iPod. There were some residual iTunes files on my PC when I installed the Touch and it read them just fine. However, I really doubt that they were lossless and I have since deleted them.


Quote:
My concern developed because several consumer/reviewers reported reduced sound quality and even skipping when playing LossLess files through the SB.

I hope someone can offer a comment to reassure you but I am unable to offer any help, one way or the other.

Kal

Editor
Editor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 16 hours ago
Joined: Sep 1 2005 - 8:56am
Re: How's the SqueezeBox Touch at playing LossLess files


Quote:

Quote:
My concern developed because several consumer/reviewers reported reduced sound quality and even skipping when playing LossLess files through the SB.


I hope someone can offer a comment to reassure you but I am unable to offer any help, one way or the other.

I didn't have any problems playing Apple Lossless files with the Touch.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

dcstep
dcstep's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Sep 16 2007 - 4:59pm
Re: How's the SqueezeBox Touch at playing LossLess files

Thanks JA. I guess I'll take a chance.

  • X
    Enter your Stereophile.com username.
    Enter the password that accompanies your username.
    Loading