You are here

Log in or register to post comments
jmanderson7
jmanderson7's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Dec 12 2005 - 6:35am
Dustcap Dilema

Good day all,

I have a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7's (just in case it makes a difference) and a three year old daughter (just so you can see where this is headed) and one dustcap (I believe that's what they are called) with bit of a dent in it. That's what I get for forgetting to put the grills on when I leave the room. All this leads to the obvious question.....is there an easy/safe way to return the cap to it's original shape? Also, will this have any affect on the sound? It doesn't appear to so far, but I'm wondering about this over the long haul. I know I could always take the speaker back to the shop, but that would be a small hassel I would rather avoid.
Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff Wong
Jeff Wong's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 9 months ago
Joined: Sep 6 2005 - 3:28am
Re: Dustcap Dilema

I know people that have used a vacuum cleaner to suck the dent out, but, I'm not sure if that's recommended.

Jan Vigne
Jan Vigne's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Mar 18 2006 - 12:57pm
Re: Dustcap Dilema

The dustcap does just what its name suggests, it prevents dust from settling into the gap of the speakers' motor. Whether it is dented or nonexistent won't make any difference in the driver's performance until large amounts of dust get in there, which is a rather minimal worry. Leave the grills on when the speakers aren't in use and the problem is solved. The dustcap serves more of a visual function than anything else. You can try pulling the dent out with a piece of adhesive tape. Or, if it won't release like that, take a pin and gently poke a hole through the dustcap and pull it out using slow, steady movements. The remaining hole isn't anything to worry about.

misterdecibel
misterdecibel's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Jul 8 2006 - 9:31am
Re: Dustcap Dilema


Quote:

The dustcap does just what its name suggests, it prevents dust from settling into the gap of the speakers' motor. Whether it is dented or nonexistent won't make any difference in the driver's performance until large amounts of dust get in there, which is a rather minimal worry. Leave the grills on when the speakers aren't in use and the problem is solved. The dustcap serves more of a visual function than anything else. You can try pulling the dent out with a piece of adhesive tape. Or, if it won't release like that, take a pin and gently poke a hole through the dustcap and pull it out using slow, steady movements. The remaining hole isn't anything to worry about.

I disagree about the dustcap's only purpose being to keep dust out of the VC gap. At least in a 2-way speaker, the dustcap contributes to the sound output of the speaker, it is a moving part of the diaphragm.

Sometimes the safest way to un-dent a dustcap is to "kiss" it out with your mouth. This assumes that the geometry of the cone will allow you to fit your face in there...

Not all of us wish to develop this sort of relationship with our music gear though.

Jan Vigne
Jan Vigne's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Mar 18 2006 - 12:57pm
Re: Dustcap Dilema

Why so in a two way?

misterdecibel
misterdecibel's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Jul 8 2006 - 9:31am
Re: Dustcap Dilema


Quote:

Why so in a two way?

Higher crossover frequency. The dustcap frequently extends the HF response of a cone speaker.

Editor
Editor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 1 month ago
Joined: Sep 1 2005 - 8:56am
Re: Dustcap Dilema


Quote:
Sometimes the safest way to un-dent a dustcap is to "kiss" it out with your mouth. This assumes that the geometry of the cone will allow you to fit your face in there...

I have used a small plastic funnel with some success, gently pushing the mouth of the cone around the dustcap and sucking through the stem. Just make sure no-one is looking when you apply the mouth-to dustcap resuscitation.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

CECE
CECE's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Sep 17 2005 - 8:16am
Re: Dustcap Dilema

If you develop a relationship in that way with the speaker is 2 way better than a 3 way? OOOOOOHHHHHHHHH Would you stand behind or in front of the box?

CECE
CECE's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Sep 17 2005 - 8:16am
Re: Dustcap Dilema

AND, is it BI amped or single input? AND, does the SIZE of the driver matter? Soemtimes if the thing is too big, you won't be able to get the proper suction and make the thing respond? And if you seen Howard Stern's movie Private Parts, you seen it is possible to get involved with a speaker in the most personal way......

smejias
smejias's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 1 month ago
Joined: Aug 25 2005 - 10:29am
Re: Dustcap Dilema


Quote:
I have used a small plastic funnel with some success, gently pushing the mouth of the cone around the dustcap and sucking through the stem. Just make sure no-one is looking when you apply the mouth-to dustcap resuscitation.

We should create a video blog detailing this procedure.

PS
That was the luckiest dustcap in the world.

Buddha
Buddha's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: Sep 8 2005 - 10:24am
Re: Dustcap Dilema


Quote:

PS
That was the luckiest dustcap in the world.

Oy, Stephen, did we just witness a "Smithers" moment?

Jeff Wong
Jeff Wong's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 9 months ago
Joined: Sep 6 2005 - 3:28am
Re: Dustcap Dilema

I'll toss in a "Seinfeld" moment:

"Not that there's anything wrong with that."

gkc
gkc's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Feb 24 2006 - 11:51am
Re: Dustcap Dilema

If anyone is interested, I still have the phone number of one of my old girlfriends. She could suck the chrome off a '78 Cerwin-Vega dustcap, and all it took was half a quart of gin to get 'er primed.

Buddha
Buddha's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: Sep 8 2005 - 10:24am
Re: Dustcap Dilema


Quote:
If anyone is interested, I still have the phone number of one of my old girlfriends. She could suck the chrome off a '78 Cerwin-Vega dustcap, and all it took was half a quart of gin to get 'er primed.

Half a quart!?

I can see why you got rid of her.

That phone number, I bet you have it memorized starting with a word-substitute for the first two numbers, eh?

gkc
gkc's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Feb 24 2006 - 11:51am
Re: Dustcap Dilema

Some things that satisfy certain, er, elemental needs are never forgotten. I don't need the mnemonic tag -- the numbers are permanently embedded in what's left of my brain. Ah. 'Twas a dozen years ago, and it seems like yesterday. I met her on her 73rd birthday -- and she still had half her teeth. Imagine what she'd be like today, having surely lost the other half by now. Do you know the 4 reasons women over 80 are desirable? They don't yell, they don't swell, they don't tell, and they're grateful as hell. And there is the 5th...removable teeth. If only I could be your age, Buddha, and know what I know now...

JoeE SP9
JoeE SP9's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: Oct 31 2005 - 6:02pm
Re: Dustcap Dilema

Was she doing this in 1978? If so it probably takes a quart of gin now.

misterdecibel
misterdecibel's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Jul 8 2006 - 9:31am
Re: Dustcap Dilema


Quote:

Quote:
Sometimes the safest way to un-dent a dustcap is to "kiss" it out with your mouth. This assumes that the geometry of the cone will allow you to fit your face in there...

I have used a small plastic funnel with some success, gently pushing the mouth of the cone around the dustcap and sucking through the stem. Just make sure no-one is looking when you apply the mouth-to dustcap resuscitation.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Ah, so you've brought toys into the relationship???

jmanderson7
jmanderson7's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Dec 12 2005 - 6:35am
Re: Dustcap Dilema

What kind of a can of worms have I opened here?!!? After reading all your responses I forgot what my original question was.
Thanks to everyone for their time and suggestions, some of which I may try and the rest I will commit to memory for future uses.
What about blu-tac or duct tape? I'm wondering if either of these will hold enough to pull out the "dents". My concern is that I may do more damage than repairs.
Again, I thank everyone for their suggestions.....wish me luck.

Jeff Wong
Jeff Wong's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 9 months ago
Joined: Sep 6 2005 - 3:28am
Re: Dustcap Dilema

Not being familiar with the dust cap on your speakers, I'm not sure if it's paper or plastic. Regardless, I would avoid using duct tape -- the adhesive is far too strong. Blu Tack might leave an oily residue and could stain the cap if it's paper. The suggestion offered by John makes the most sense to me, unless making out with your speaker floats your boat. The small funnel and its shape will offer a good seal, and you'll be able to control the level of, er, suckage, which trumps my vacuum cleaner suggestion.

Buddha
Buddha's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: Sep 8 2005 - 10:24am
Re: Dustcap Dilema

For those of us who don't have the luxury of being able to have JA over in person to suck their dust caps, here's a motorized substitute:

Note: With this new Furutech Dust Cap Sucker, you can treat a stereo pair, simultaneously!

Then you can chase your wife around with it...

CECE
CECE's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Sep 17 2005 - 8:16am
Re: Dustcap Dilema

Buddha is turning into a regular Henny Youngman. Take my Furutech, please. Funny and correct. The LP has been around for decades, how come Furutech, discovered this magnetic anomoly, and no record presing plant or "audiophile" pressing plant ever makes mention of this "problem"? Does the Furutech need to be isolated on MApingo blocks, an dhave it's AC line plugged into a PS magic wall wart to turn spikes into flashing LED show ($399.00)!!!!!!!! For that price come on, put at leaset TWO LEDS to blink. How does teh Furutech deal with differetn weight LP'S 180, 200 and plain ole thin shit...certainly the thickness and mass of teh vinyl HAS TO change the operation. Picture disc LP's, what effect there, I have a BLUE LP, will that throw it complely into a tizzy?

Yiangos
Yiangos's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 3 months ago
Joined: Sep 7 2005 - 8:41am
Re: Dustcap Dilema

lolololol I see a new breed in the horison.Audiophile farmers.They can milk their cows too!

Ultima Thule
Ultima Thule's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Sep 2 2005 - 7:30pm
Re: Dustcap Dilema


Quote:
Good day all,

I have a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7's (just in case it makes a difference) and a three year old daughter (just so you can see where this is headed) and one dustcap (I believe that's what they are called) with bit of a dent in it. That's what I get for forgetting to put the grills on when I leave the room. All this leads to the obvious question.....is there an easy/safe way to return the cap to it's original shape? Also, will this have any affect on the sound? It doesn't appear to so far, but I'm wondering about this over the long haul. I know I could always take the speaker back to the shop, but that would be a small hassel I would rather avoid.
Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

you may thread a sock firmly stretched over the vacumcleaners pipe end and keep it firmly with one hand so the sock itself wont be also sucked up, thereby you minimize the risk of the dustcap beeing sucked up/destroyed, keep the other hand ready to switch off the VC.
Remember you do it at your own risk!

Cheers Michael

  • X
    Enter your Stereophile.com username.
    Enter the password that accompanies your username.
    Loading