You are here

Log in or register to post comments
mrlowry
mrlowry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: May 30 2006 - 1:37pm
Congratulations Jeff Wong!

Congratulations Jeff on your work being published in Stereophile. I especially like the DUP reference.

Editor
Editor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: Sep 1 2005 - 8:56am
Re: Congratulations Jeff Wong!


Quote:
Congratulations Jeff on your work being published in Stereophile. I especially like the DUP reference.

It was my pleasure to be able to publish Jeff's work.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

KBK
KBK's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Sep 30 2007 - 12:30pm
Re: Congratulations Jeff Wong!

How about a single page column, called the 15th column, on the 15th page, every month? See what happens. Might go somewhere.

A few essential points: 15 minutes to 15 seconds of fame, on bizarre points of potential interest, must stay confined in the single page. Not one bit more. Rules, rules rules. On that page, most rules are ignored. No ridicule, but comment, centered around the idea of presentation of the potentialities. And to hell with the 'cancel my subscription crowd'. They wouldn't know human evolution if it came up and slapped them in the face. Oh yes, no matter WHAT the subject, it must bear relevance to the cutting edge 'points of interest' in audio. Keep it ridiculous. Or at least controversy provoking.

I think you'd have to line up a few 'episodes' before starting it, though.

Make it a memorable page. That's what brings the readers back. Literally the physiology of the neurology of memorable moments. Get out the crayon book, colour the mag. Big and bold.

Leadership requires difference.
Difference requires different thinking.
Different thinking requires new thoughts.
Leading requires different positions.
Different positions create controversy.
Controversy creates debate.
Debate creates resolution and reconciliation.
Thus new directions and new thoughts come into being.
By definition the leader is always separate from the crowd and is inherently at odds with them.
Therefore leadership -is- controversy.

There's a million ways to state it and get to the point. The above babble is only one of many.

ethanwiner
ethanwiner's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Sep 1 2005 - 2:26pm
Re: Congratulations Jeff Wong!


Quote:
Congratulations Jeff on your work being published in Stereophile. I especially like the DUP reference.


Hear hear. Way to go Jeff.

"TEH DUP HOUSE" indeed - classic!

--Ethan

pbarach
pbarach's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: Sep 8 2005 - 3:10am
Re: Congratulations Jeff Wong!

Can someone please explain who DUP is? I haven't been able to figure out who this character is and what the backstory is behind his/her posts here...

andy_c
andy_c's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 16 hours ago
Joined: Dec 25 2007 - 12:48pm
Re: Congratulations Jeff Wong!


Quote:
Can someone please explain who DUP is? I haven't been able to figure out who this character is and what the backstory is behind his/her posts here...

Have a look in the "General Rants 'n' Raves" forum. He starts lots of threads there. You might check this thread that describes a visit other forum members made to his house to listen to his system.

Among the things he advocates are pro audio power amplifiers with lots of WATTS (in all caps ). He is also infamous for misspelling "the" as "teh", which some folks (such as me) think he does deliberately to achieve a kind of surreal, humorous effect. He is an outspoken critic of controversial audiophile tweaks, but does so in a court jester-ish way without coming across as angry. It takes a little while of reading his posts to see where he's coming from. It's best done by not taking him literally. This thread is pretty typical of the kinds of threads he originates.

Also note in the "Forum Announcements" that he's been temporarily banned twice. He has mellowed since then.

Elk
Elk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: Dec 26 2006 - 6:32am
Re: Congratulations Jeff Wong!

Nor can anyone else.

Do a search for user DUP. You will find many of his posts.

Another approach is to search post text for "teh".

andy_c
andy_c's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 16 hours ago
Joined: Dec 25 2007 - 12:48pm
Re: Congratulations Jeff Wong!


Quote:
Another approach is to search post text for "teh".

LOL! You may risk crashing the site's search engine due to overload if you do that .

dbowker
dbowker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: May 8 2007 - 6:37am
Re: Congratulations Jeff Wong!

My congrats too Jeff. Some real talent there dude. Very fun stuff all around.

piinob
piinob's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Aug 14 2007 - 11:31pm
Re: Congratulations Jeff Wong!

Let me add my own congrats Jeff. Very good work. I love the caracatures I have seen in the past.

59mga
59mga's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: Jun 21 2006 - 6:52am
Re: Congratulations Jeff Wong!

Yes, Jeff, marvelous...just marvelous. Maybe someday your work will grace the cover of Stereophile (hint, hint JA).

CybaSumo
CybaSumo's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: May 19 2008 - 3:27am
Re: Congratulations Jeff Wong!

Congrats Jeff! keep up the good work!

defgibbon
defgibbon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: Jan 24 2006 - 1:27pm
Re: Congratulations Jeff Wong!

Agreed! What a treat. I love the homage to the old EC comics days, with the varied art, old-school halftone colors and aged newsprint look. Excellent work, congrats!

bifcake
bifcake's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Nov 27 2005 - 2:27am
Re: Congratulations Jeff Wong!


Quote:
Agreed! What a treat. I love the homage to the old EC comics days, with the varied art, old-school halftone colors and aged newsprint look. Excellent work, congrats!

Congratulations, Jeff! You're a real talent! Don't shave off that stash. Else, you may wind up like Sampson - all your talent will go down the drain with your stash.

As someone who's never read comic books, not even as a kid, I'm sure I'm missing all the subtle references in terms of style and perhaps dialog as well. Can someone explain the subtleties to me? Thanks

BillB
BillB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Joined: Aug 15 2007 - 2:04pm
Re: Congratulations Jeff Wong!

Just had a chance to see it briefly. On that brief look, I was a little confused by faces - I recognized JGH, JA, WP, and maybe ST, but there were some I couldn't identify. Is there a cheat sheet available, or do I just need to look more carefully when I get back to it?

jazzfan
jazzfan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: Sep 8 2005 - 8:55am
Re: Congratulations Jeff Wong!


Quote:
As someone who's never read comic books, not even as a kid, I'm sure I'm missing all the subtle references in terms of style and perhaps dialog as well. Can someone explain the subtleties to me? Thanks

First things first - great work Jeff. I guess that explains why you haven't been all that active around these parts from a while - too busy working and writing.

As for Alex's call for help, I'm afraid that explaining the "subtleties" of the world of comic books via an internet forum about audio would be akin to trying explain the subtleties of audio to someone on an internet comic book forum. Basically you had to have read plenty of comic books to even being to understand what is going on. And judging by his wonderful and dead-on-prefect work, it would seem that Jeff as read quite a comic books in his time.

mrlowry
mrlowry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: May 30 2006 - 1:37pm
Re: Congratulations Jeff Wong!


Quote:
I'm afraid that explaining the "subtleties" of the world of comic books via an internet forum about audio would be akin to trying explain the subtleties of audio to someone on an internet comic book forum. Basically you had to have read plenty of comic books to even being to understand what is going on. And judging by his wonderful and dead-on-prefect work, it would seem that Jeff as read quite a comic books in his time.

Jeff might STILL read lots of comic books!

smejias
smejias's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: Aug 25 2005 - 10:29am
Re: Congratulations Jeff Wong!


Quote:
Is there a cheat sheet available, or do I just need to look more carefully when I get back to it?

Once you have a chance to read it, I think the names and faces will become obvious.

bifcake
bifcake's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Nov 27 2005 - 2:27am
Re: Congratulations Jeff Wong!

I think Wes Phillips used to be a big, fat guy with a beard. Now, he's a chiseled thin, old guy with no beard. In the comic book section, it's not readily apparent that it's the same guy.

I'm also not very sure what Jon Iverson did before doing web work for Stereophile and why he was singing songs.

smejias
smejias's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: Aug 25 2005 - 10:29am
Re: Congratulations Jeff Wong!


Quote:
I think Wes Phillips used to be a big, fat guy with a beard. Now, he's a chiseled thin, old guy with no beard. In the comic book section, it's not readily apparent that it's the same guy.

The earring is one clue.


Quote:
I'm also not very sure what Jon Iverson did before doing web work for Stereophile and why he was singing songs.

Oh, good point, Alex. There are two different characters in that piece. Jon Iverson and Bob Deutsch. Bob Deutsch is the singer.

bifcake
bifcake's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Nov 27 2005 - 2:27am
Re: Congratulations Jeff Wong!


Quote:

Oh, good point, Alex. There are two different characters in that piece. Jon Iverson and Bob Deutsch. Bob Deutsch is the singer.

How come Bob Deutsch looks like Jon Iverson and why is Jon Iverson telling a story as though it was him who was singing?

smejias
smejias's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: Aug 25 2005 - 10:29am
Re: Congratulations Jeff Wong!


Quote:

Quote:

Oh, good point, Alex. There are two different characters in that piece. Jon Iverson and Bob Deutsch. Bob Deutsch is the singer.

How come Bob Deutsch looks like Jon Iverson and why is Jon Iverson telling a story as though it was him who was singing?

I was wrong when I said that the names and faces would become obvious upon reading. Some of the stories do make it obvious, but not all, as you've pointed out, Alex. There are subtleties in Jeff's work that I'm still just catching. For instance, the background of the Jon Iverson panels is that of JI's home listening room, which you can see in our gallery. That background, like Wes' earring, is a clue to help identify the character. Of course, this won't be obvious to everyone, just as the DUP character in the ad page won't be obvious to everyone, but is a wonderful delight to those who are familiar.

As for Bob Deutsch and Jon Iverson looking similar: Part of the similarity is due to the style that Jeff was using in this particular story. Nonetheless, they're clearly different characters. Bob wears glasses, Jon doesn't. Bob is wearing a tie, Jon isn't. Bob is in a darkened panel, Jon is well-lit.

I hope this helps.

bifcake
bifcake's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Nov 27 2005 - 2:27am
Re: Congratulations Jeff Wong!


Quote:

As for Bob Deutsch and Jon Iverson looking similar: Part of the similarity is due to the style that Jeff was using in this particular story. Nonetheless, they're clearly different characters. Bob wears glasses, Jon doesn't. Bob is wearing a tie, Jon isn't. Bob is in a darkened panel, Jon is well-lit.

I hope this helps.

I thought initially that the character in the dark was Jon Iverson today and the character in the light was a younger Jon Iverson of yore.

Dave_c
Dave_c's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Sep 20 2005 - 7:26am
Re: Congratulations Jeff Wong!

Awesome work!

I really enjoyed reading the comic history of Stereophile in the latest issue. Hopefully, this will be a semi-regular feature (at the very least).

Really well done Jeff.

  • X
    Enter your Stereophile.com username.
    Enter the password that accompanies your username.
    Loading