You are here

Log in or register to post comments
Cl8baller
Cl8baller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: Jan 28 2012 - 5:26pm
Building with vinyl to digital in mind as well as casual listening.

With some free time on my hands once again, I am looking into building a budget, starter system, with the idea of digitizing records for portability use while also being able to use it for at home, recreational use when playing records.

I am also trying to build something I can gradually upgrade over time without having to spend large amounts at a time. This includes any DIYs if needed. Right now age isn't of my concern, simply quality.

Currently I have a pair of Fisher ST-830s and a pair of Jenson J543 hooked up to a random Philips Home Theater System I plan on ditching.

I have a collection of music ranging from Flight of the Bumblebee to Canon to The Beatles to Diana Ross. About 50 records in relatively good shape based off of appearance and their original owner's tlc.

My budget is around $200-$300 right now. I am able to acquire stuff through online use as well as a few mom-and-pop shops, thrift stores, and pawn shops in my area, that I have casually browsed through on a few occasions. 

commsysman
commsysman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: Apr 4 2006 - 11:33am
SYSTEM

1) Do you have a turntable?

2) Do you have an amplifier?

3) a lot more details, please, on what is hooked to what, and how.

 

Thanks

 

 

 

 

Cl8baller wrote:

With some free time on my hands once again, I am looking into building a budget, starter system, with the idea of digitizing records for portability use while also being able to use it for at home, recreational use when playing records.

I am also trying to build something I can gradually upgrade over time without having to spend large amounts at a time. This includes any DIYs if needed. Right now age isn't of my concern, simply quality.

Currently I have a pair of Fisher ST-830s and a pair of Jenson J543 hooked up to a random Philips Home Theater System I plan on ditching.

I have a collection of music ranging from Flight of the Bumblebee to Canon to The Beatles to Diana Ross. About 50 records in relatively good shape based off of appearance and their original owner's tlc.

My budget is around $200-$300 right now. I am able to acquire stuff through online use as well as a few mom-and-pop shops, thrift stores, and pawn shops in my area, that I have casually browsed through on a few occasions. 

Drtrey3
Drtrey3's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 6 days ago
Joined: Aug 17 2008 - 2:52pm
Here is how I do it

I have a Rega P3 turntable with a Grado Sonata cartridge that I run through a Bellari VP130 phono preamp. I send that signal into a Maudio 2496 audiophile sound card. I digitize the records using Wavepad recording software. I usually save the files as 24 bit 96K wav files that I play through Jriver Media Player. If the record is compressed or just not that well recorded, I rip them at standard at cd resolution. For the mp3s I convert the files using dbpower amp. The big files sound wonderful. You lose something in the process, the sound is a tad bit sterile compared to listening to the lp direct, but the ease of playing any track or album I want is a huge plus for me (and makes the music accesible to my wife and kids who won't mess with records.)

Trey

Cl8baller
Cl8baller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: Jan 28 2012 - 5:26pm
The idea
Drtrey3 wrote:

I have a Rega P3 turntable with a Grado Sonata cartridge that I run through a Bellari VP130 phono preamp. I send that signal into a Maudio 2496 audiophile sound card. I digitize the records using Wavepad recording software. I usually save the files as 24 bit 96K wav files that I play through Jriver Media Player. If the record is compressed or just not that well recorded, I rip them at standard at cd resolution. For the mp3s I convert the files using dbpower amp. The big files sound wonderful. You lose something in the process, the sound is a tad bit sterile compared to listening to the lp direct, but the ease of playing any track or album I want is a huge plus for me (and makes the music accesible to my wife and kids who won't mess with records.)

Trey

So to embark on this project I am trying to get into, one should go turntable+catridge>phono preamp>sound card>recording software.

A turntable+catridge combination like yours would kill my budget right before I would I even get up to bat but reading review the Rega seems like something worth going after in the future. I'm pretty handy with Audacity, would an entry-level turntable like a Sony PS-LX250H like I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, suffice with just a preamp hooked up through USB like a Behringer UCA202.

Cl8baller
Cl8baller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: Jan 28 2012 - 5:26pm
RE: System
commsysman wrote:

1) Do you have a turntable?

2) Do you have an amplifier?

3) a lot more details, please, on what is hooked to what, and how.

Thanks

 

Did some salvaging into my friend's storage. Found a Sony PS-LX250H.My home theatre does not have a phono-in so its connected to AUX.

What I have is the speakers, home theatre, and turntable with a spare stock needle.

This is a fresh little project I am trying to get into. 

Drtrey3
Drtrey3's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 6 days ago
Joined: Aug 17 2008 - 2:52pm
Do you have?

Hey pal, do you have a phono preamp? Is there one built in to your receiver? You need a phono pre amp to amplify the tiny signal coming from the turntable as well as to equalize the signal. If you have one, you could go from the record out of your receiver and use that usb/preamp. I would listen, but probably use that for mp3s. You can check to see if a cd quality file sounds good enough to warrant the extra file size. That setup sounds like it would work. Of course, you can spend lots of money for stuff that sounds better with all that money that grows from the tree in the back yard.  8)

 

Trey

  • X
    Enter your Stereophile.com username.
    Enter the password that accompanies your username.
    Loading