You are here

Log in or register to post comments
satkinsn
satkinsn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: Aug 19 2008 - 4:23am
Ask, and ye shall receive...

In a previous post, I worried out loud about Henry Threadgill's Novus output being restored to print - in particular because of Air Lore, the mighty album of 'Jelly Roll Morton and Scott Joplin through the lens of the avant garde' music.

Today, I got the following notice from Mosaic Records. Huzzah!


Quote:

Henry Threadgill: The Complete Novus & Columbia Recordings of Henry Threadgill & Air
(Release Date: Early 2010)

Henry Threadgill was among the first wave of distinctive and utterly original artists to emerge from Chicago's Association for The Advancement of Creative Music along with Muhal Richard Abrams, Anthony Braxton and the member of the Art Ensemble Of Chicago.

As a saxophonist, he delivers his unique style with a big, dry sound and precise articulation. As a composer, he was an American original, influenced by the entire spectrum of music. He creates distinctive sonic canvasses for a variety of ensemble. And his work is infused with a wonderfully dry, almost absurdist sense of humor.

This set covers three important eras in Threadgill's career, beginning with the three albums that Air made in 1978-79 for Arista Novus including the celebrated "Air Lore" with unique reinterpretations of the music of Scott Joplin and Jelly Roll Morton. Air was a remarkable co-operative trio formed by Threadgill, bassist Fred Hopkins and drummer Steve McCall in 1975.

In 1979, Threadgill made his first album as a leader for Arista Novus. "X-75. Volume 1" featured the unique ensemble of four reeds, four basses and the voice of Amina Claudine Myers. A volume 2 was made and never issued. It is released for the first time in this set.

In 1986, Henry formed his Sextett, which consisted of seven musicians! This unique ensemble consisted of trumpet, trombone, cello, bass and two sets of drums as well as Threadgill. Over the next two years, the group recorded three albums, all for RCA Novus and all included here.

Threadgill closed out the century with three albums on Columbia ("Carry The Day," "Makin' A Move" and "Where's Your Cup") recorded between 1994 and '96 with varying ensembles of unusual instrumentation.


Counting the weeks...

s.

jazzfan
jazzfan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: Sep 8 2005 - 8:55am
Re: Ask, and ye shall receive...


Quote:
Henry Threadgill was among the first wave of distinctive and utterly original artists to emerge from Chicago's Association for The Advancement of Creative Music along with Muhal Richard Abrams, Anthony Braxton and the member of the Art Ensemble Of Chicago.

Curious minds want to know: just when was Threadgill ever a member of (or even a guest aritst with) the Art Ensemble of Chicago??

I'm pretty familiar with most of the AEC catalog and history and I don't have or remember seeing anything with Threadgill on it.

Nonetheless it sounds like a very worthwhile and long overdue release. Ho-ray Mosaic!!

satkinsn
satkinsn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: Aug 19 2008 - 4:23am
Re: Ask, and ye shall receive...

I don't read it that way. I think it means Threadgill was one of the key figures to emerge from the AACM, along with Braxton, Abrams and the Art Ensemble.

And I second the hoo-ray!

Did you happen to buy the Braxton Mosaic set? One of my favorite reissues of the last decade. I'm glad Mosaic is spending a little more time in the 70s.

s.

Btw and apropos of nothing, do you like Pere Ubu?

jazzfan
jazzfan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: Sep 8 2005 - 8:55am
Re: Ask, and ye shall receive...


Quote:
I don't read it that way. I think it means Threadgill was one of the key figures to emerge from the AACM, along with Braxton, Abrams and the Art Ensemble.

And I second the hoo-ray!

Did you happen to buy the Braxton Mosaic set? One of my favorite reissues of the last decade. I'm glad Mosaic is spending a little more time in the 70s.

s.

Btw and apropos of nothing, do you like Pere Ubu?

Taking things one at time:

I really don't know how to read it since it's written rather poorly, however your reading makes more sense than my reading so we'll go with yours.

I didn't pick up the Braxton set since I have most of the material already. I'll most likely not pick the Threadgill since I also have most that material as well.

And finally, yes I like Pere Ubu and thanks for the reminder since most of my Pere Ubu CDs were not ripped to my hard drive. I just spent the last hour or so ripping all of them to my hard drive since that is how I listen to anything digital (except for the occasional multi-channel SACD). I still spin the old Linn LP12 for vinyl but for digital I use either the LogiTech Transporter or one of the several SqueezeBoxes that I have throughout the house. And now I have quite a few Pere Ubu recordings to choose from.

Music streaming is really a pleasure and well worth the effort one must put into getting the system set up. Once everything is ripped to a hard drive it's really easy to find a given recording and then have it playing with just a couple of button pushes or mouse clicks.

satkinsn
satkinsn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: Aug 19 2008 - 4:23am
Re: Ask, and ye shall receive...

I'm excited, because the only Air I can remember owning was 'Air Lore,' and I didn't even know the Columbias existed.

I've bought what I can find of Threadgill's solo work on Black Saint/Soul Note and RCA/Novus from the mid-80s, as well as 'Just The Facts...' which remains a touchstone.

I keep thinking about following your lead, since I'm up to about 3000 cds and no longer really know what I own, sometimes. Plus, I have two Squeezeboxen, (thought not a Transporter, whose charms would probably be lost at my level of gear) and thoroughly enjoy them.

(Also, a Squeezebox Boom, which is pure pleasure. I fall asleep many nights with Live365 piped over the 'boom.)

Pere Ubu is another great example of my gapped knowledge - back in the day, I owned 'Dub Housing' and played it a little. I recently stumbled into a used copy of the 'Datapanik' boxed set and once again found myself thinking, 'how did I miss this?'

s.

jazzfan
jazzfan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: Sep 8 2005 - 8:55am
Re: Ask, and ye shall receive...

Another multi-part answer.


Quote:
I'm excited, because the only Air I can remember owning was 'Air Lore,' and I didn't even know the Columbias existed.

First, the cover of my LP copy of "Air Lore" is autographed by all three band members. I went to see Air at a local college around the time that "Air Lore" was released and remembered to bring my copy of the LP which I then had them sign for me. As for the Columbia releases, they are not by Air but by various Threadgill led groups and were released in the mid 1990s.


Quote:
I keep thinking about following your lead, since I'm up to about 3000 cds and no longer really know what I own, sometimes. Plus, I have two Squeezeboxen, (thought not a Transporter, whose charms would probably be lost at my level of gear) and thoroughly enjoy them.

(Also, a Squeezebox Boom, which is pure pleasure. I fall asleep many nights with Live365 piped over the 'boom.)

So you have a few SqueezeBoxen (I also like the German/Dutch plural of "en" better than the English "es", at least for words like "box") yourself but you haven't made the leap to putting your music library onto a hard drive. Check out some of the threads in the "Computer Audio" section for lots of good information and suggestions on how to go about setting up a hard drive based music library. I don't know what type of computer you use (Apple or Windows based) but if you do have a Windows PC then I strongly suggest that you pick up a copy of dbPowerAmp, the Swiss Army knife of programs for ripping CDs and maintaining a digital audio music library. The program costs something like $35 and is well worth every last penny.

I won't be so fast to knock the SqueezeBox with respect to the Transporter since with a SqueezeBox one can always use the SqueezeBox's digital output and a good inexpensive external DAC, such as the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic, and get some very, very nice sounding results.


Quote:
Pere Ubu is another great example of my gapped knowledge - back in the day, I owned 'Dub Housing' and played it a little. I recently stumbled into a used copy of the 'Datapanik' boxed set and once again found myself thinking, 'how did I miss this?'

I know exactly what you mean by "gapped knowledge". In the late 1970s and early 1980's when Pere Ubu first hit the underground rock scene I was so engrossed in jazz that I completely missed them. My forays into the world of rock music at that time were pretty much limited to known qualities like Elvis Costello or XTC and I had no time or patience for "new" bands or artists. I've since tried my best to become to less of a jazz snob. I can't say whether or not I'm succeeding since I still consider The Don Pullen/George Adams Quartet to be the best group of the 1980's, jazz or otherwise.

satkinsn
satkinsn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: Aug 19 2008 - 4:23am
Re: Ask, and ye shall receive...


Quote:
Another multi-part answer.

First, the cover of my LP copy of "Air Lore" is autographed by all three band members. I went to see Air at a local college around the time that "Air Lore" was released and remembered to bring my copy of the LP which I then had them sign for me. As for the Columbia releases, they are not by Air but by various Threadgill led groups and were released in the mid 1990s.

My memory is of my dad. Back in the 70s, he sold hearses for a living, and he was incredibly patient about my love for music, even though he hated most of it.

(That said, he lived next to a ballroom in the 30s where Basie and Ellington played, and he loved that music, along with Hank Williams and Hank Snow and the Carters.)

Anyway, I'd help him deliver hearses all over New York state when I was 17 or 18, because we needed a way to get home - so he'd drive the hearse and I'd follow in the family car.

And if were anywhere near Syracuse, he'd let me go to the college section - no matter how tired he was - and buy a couple of records. On one of those trips I got 'Air Lore' and the 'Rolling Stones Now' and I proceeded to talk to him about Air Lore all the way home, about Jelly Roll Morton and Scott Joplin.

He even listened to it with me for a little bit.


Quote:

So you have a few SqueezeBoxen (I also like the German/Dutch plural of "en" better than the English "es", at least for words like "box") yourself but you haven't made the leap to putting your music library onto a hard drive. Check out some of the threads in the "Computer Audio" section for lots of good information and suggestions on how to go about setting up a hard drive based music library. I don't know what type of computer you use (Apple or Windows based) but if you do have a Windows PC then I strongly suggest that you pick up a copy of dbPowerAmp, the Swiss Army knife of programs for ripping CDs and maintaining a digital audio music library. The program costs something like $35 and is well worth every last penny.

I use a mix of Macs, Windows boxes and the stray Linux machine or two. I have happily used dbPowerAmp, but other folks make a big deal out of EAC. Do you have an opinion about whether the rips are really any different between the two?

Do you miss not having the physical thing near you (I know, weird) when you're listening? So you can glance at liners or the album art?


Quote:
I can't say whether or not I'm succeeding since I still consider The Don Pullen/George Adams Quartet to be the best group of the 1980's, jazz or otherwise.

I bow deeply in your direction. They were a mighty, mighty band.

s.

jazzfan
jazzfan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: Sep 8 2005 - 8:55am
Re: Ask, and ye shall receive...


Quote:
My memory is of my dad. Back in the 70s, he sold hearses for a living, and he was incredibly patient about my love for music, even though he hated most of it.

(That said, he lived next to a ballroom in the 30s where Basie and Ellington played, and he loved that music, along with Hank Williams and Hank Snow and the Carters.)

Anyway, I'd help him deliver hearses all over New York state when I was 17 or 18, because we needed a way to get home - so he'd drive the hearse and I'd follow in the family car.

And if were anywhere near Syracuse, he'd let me go to the college section - no matter how tired he was - and buy a couple of records. On one of those trips I got 'Air Lore' and the 'Rolling Stones Now' and I proceeded to talk to him about Air Lore all the way home, about Jelly Roll Morton and Scott Joplin.

He even listened to it with me for a little bit.

My dad was also a fan of 1930s & 1940s big band swing jazz but lost the taste for jazz around the time Charlie Parker and be-bop hit the scene. "Chinese music" as it used to be called. I think that Air would just leave him completely confused.


Quote:
I use a mix of Macs, Windows boxes and the stray Linux machine or two. I have happily used dbPowerAmp, but other folks make a big deal out of EAC. Do you have an opinion about whether the rips are really any different between the two?

Do you miss not having the physical thing near you (I know, weird) when you're listening? So you can glance at liners or the album art?

Sure I sometimes miss the physical things like liner notes with all the pretty pictures and session info but I've learned to listen with at least a laptop at hand so that I can either look up the info on All Music Guide or open any of the graphic or information file that I might have stored with the music files within my music library. And that sad feeling of nostalgia quickly fades when I happily release that I don't have put anything away after a long night of listening. Well maybe some LPs but no CDs.


Quote:
I can't say whether or not I'm succeeding since I still consider The Don Pullen/George Adams Quartet to be the best group of the 1980's, jazz or otherwise.


Quote:
I bow deeply in your direction. They were a mighty, mighty band.

Indeed they were and a killer group to see live. I still miss Don Pullen very deeply since he was far and away my all time favorite piano player. The one word that crosses my mind when I think of or hear Pullen is SMILE!! No other piano player makes me smile as consistently as Pullen. Making joyful music is so much harder to do than just making music and Pullen's music was always so full of joy and happiness, even long after he knew of his illness and impending death.

linden518
linden518's picture
Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: Dec 12 2007 - 5:34am
Re: Ask, and ye shall receive...


Quote:
My memory is of my dad. Back in the 70s, he sold hearses for a living, and he was incredibly patient about my love for music, even though he hated most of it.

(That said, he lived next to a ballroom in the 30s where Basie and Ellington played, and he loved that music, along with Hank Williams and Hank Snow and the Carters.)

Anyway, I'd help him deliver hearses all over New York state when I was 17 or 18, because we needed a way to get home - so he'd drive the hearse and I'd follow in the family car.

And if were anywhere near Syracuse, he'd let me go to the college section - no matter how tired he was - and buy a couple of records. On one of those trips I got 'Air Lore' and the 'Rolling Stones Now' and I proceeded to talk to him about Air Lore all the way home, about Jelly Roll Morton and Scott Joplin.

He even listened to it with me for a little bit.


This is the best thing I've read in weeks, anywhere. Thanks for sharing.

jazzfan
jazzfan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: Sep 8 2005 - 8:55am
Re: Ask, and ye shall receive...


Quote:
This is the best thing I've read in weeks, anywhere. Thanks for sharing.

I agree selfdivider. Now go and listen to "Air Lore", some Threadgill and some Don Pullen for good measure and the experience will be complete.

jazzfan
jazzfan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: Sep 8 2005 - 8:55am
Re: Ask, and ye shall receive...


Quote:
I use a mix of Macs, Windows boxes and the stray Linux machine or two. I have happily used dbPowerAmp, but other folks make a big deal out of EAC. Do you have an opinion about whether the rips are really any different between the two?

I just realized that I never did answer this question. Like yourself I have used both dbPowerAmp and EAC and while I don't think that the resulting flac files obtained from using either program to rip a CD are any different sound quality wise, dbPowerAmp is just so much more powerful and a hell of lot faster when the CD is already in the AccurateRip database. In addition, dbPowerAmp is more user configurable and does many more things, like download cover art and access several different online databases so that one can obtain the most accurate tag information available.

There are a large number of open source fanatics out there who feel that any and all software that costs money is somehow bad and evil. So while EAC is an excellent piece of software and is far and away the best free CD ripping software (it's head and shoulders better than iTunes or Windows Media Player), EAC is not quite as feature rich as the very reasonably priced dbPowerAmp. And dbPowerAmp is not bloatware since the program is built using modules and the necessary module of the program is loaded for any given function. Want to rip a CD, the CD ripping module loads. Want to listen a flac file, only the music player module is loaded, etc. In other words, dbPowerAmp is a shining example of what a well written, non-braindead program such be.

I am in no way afiliated with dbPowerAmp, I just like the program.

satkinsn
satkinsn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: Aug 19 2008 - 4:23am
Re: Ask, and ye shall receive...


Quote:

There are a large number of open source fanatics out there who feel that any and all software that costs money is somehow bad and evil.

Indulge me in a brief hijack of the thread...

First, my open source bona fides, such as they are.

I've run Linux since 93-94, when I downloaded a very early release (kernel 0.91?) from AOL.

Since then, I've seldom been without a box running one flavor or the other, usually Mandriva, though like everyone else I can't avoid the many flavors of Ubuntu.

I'm not a programmer, but can find my way around a command line, install packages from source, etc., etc.

Philosophically, I'm big on open source, starting with the famous 'Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow.' The first time I heard that, I knew I had found people who thought like I think.

And I'm a regular financial contributor to some freeware and open source projects.

I'm also strongly anti-DRM.

BUT...I get very annoyed by the argument that open source and free represent the one, true and only path to software heaven.

If you hate the monoculture that Windows threatened to become, why would you want to create something like it on the open source side?

There are many excellent, small pieces of software, written by hard working folks, which are either not free or not open or both.

To wit:

On the Mac side, Panic's 'Transit' is my preferred ftp client, even though there are decent free/open alternatives.

I love everything Rogue Amoeba does, and have licensed copies of all their audio software.

Ditto for Graphics Converter, the lightweight photo manipulation tool.

On the Windows side, I use Irfanview every day. It's free, but closed source.

Video ReDo is an indespensible mpeg2 'cuts only' video editor - and there is nothing on the open source side that comes close.

As you note, the dpPowerAmp suite.

EditPad Pro is a better plain text editor on Windows than I have found among the many open source editors available.

Windows Media Center is, for all its faults, a flexible, very friendly piece of software - and Windows 7 is shaping up as a worthy OS.

So I agree with you - everfything in moderation, including open source.

best,

s.

ncdrawl
ncdrawl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 3 months ago
Joined: Oct 18 2008 - 9:18am
Re: Ask, and ye shall receive...

i am still having trouble figuring out why anyone with a modicum of computer knowledge uses anything but foobar?

it is the alpha and omega of music players.

Foxit Reader-- PDF reading

Open Office like M$ office suite, but, more powerful and free..

IMG Burn

Irfan View

I use to burn my high res recordings to DVD-Audio discs

VLC media player for Video(of any type)

andy_c
andy_c's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 23 hours ago
Joined: Dec 25 2007 - 12:48pm
Re: Ask, and ye shall receive...


Quote:
i am still having trouble figuring out why anyone with a modicum of computer knowledge uses anything but foobar?

For me, it started with my favorite internet radio station, WRTI in Philadelphia. It's a very good jazz station. The only decent-sounding stream they have is in the AACplus format. Foobar has all kinds of problems playing this stream - stuttering, etc. WinAmp plays AACplus streams flawlessly. If you listen to any internet radio, you'll find that AACplus streams sound waaaay better than MP3 streams of the same bit rate.

And if you want to find out what a complete douchebag the developer of Foobar is, just ask him when he's going to fix the Foobar problem with the E-MU 0404 USB and ASIO. Foobar is the only playback app that has this problem. It's HIS problem. He's convinced himself that he's so fucking smart for having deviated from the Steinberg source code for ASIO initialization, and the subsequent problem it causes in this area, that this bug will exist in perpetuity.

ncdrawl
ncdrawl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 3 months ago
Joined: Oct 18 2008 - 9:18am
Re: Ask, and ye shall receive...

interesting..

I am listening to that station this very moment..

all you do is click on foobar tabs

ADD Location__ and type in the url

http://wrti-ice.streamguys.net/classical-247-aacp.m3u

bam..done

flawless here

jazzfan
jazzfan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: Sep 8 2005 - 8:55am
Re: Ask, and ye shall receive...


Quote:
i am still having trouble figuring out why anyone with a modicum of computer knowledge uses anything but foobar?

Why does anyone with a modicum of knowledge about computer based playback of digital audio use anything other a music streaming device to playback their music?

  • X
    Enter your Stereophile.com username.
    Enter the password that accompanies your username.
    Loading