You are here

Log in or register to post comments
FSonicSmith
FSonicSmith's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: Feb 12 2010 - 6:09am
Art Dudley and slate plinth for his TD124

I'm sure some will protest (for many reasons) that I place this post here but it's in response to a site "feature" dated just yesterday so why not?
Art hears bass extension and solidity with his TD124 by switching from a birch and MDF plinth (which I gather was hollow and not solid in construction) to a slate plinth sourced from PA slate but sold at a boutique in downtown Manhattan. About it's price tag, Art says; " Thus there are no stock units, and thus no hard-and-fast price list. OMA's prices start at $20000 for the smallest and simplest plinths, and go up from there, depending not only on size but also on thickness, number of tonearm mounts, and the like" and then directly from there concludes;
"Especially to the lucky hobbyist whose Thorens turntable

Freako
Freako's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: Jan 17 2010 - 8:29am
Re: Art Dudley and slate plinth for his TD124

You sure have a point or two there

Drtrey3
Drtrey3's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: Aug 17 2008 - 2:52pm
Re: Art Dudley and slate plinth for his TD124

Art and I differ on a few things, politics and vintage gear being the most prominent, but he is arguably my favorite writer at the Phile. I have a few copies of his magazine Listener and wish I had them all. Art has his own approach to things, and I would love to hear his systems! But what I value about Art is not his approach to hifi, but that he has one and works it. And his writing rocks. And he has turned me on to some good music.

He moves to his own rhythm section, but shouldn't we all?

Trey

FSonicSmith
FSonicSmith's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: Feb 12 2010 - 6:09am
Re: Art Dudley and slate plinth for his TD124


Quote:
Art and I differ on a few things, politics and vintage gear being the most prominent, but he is arguably my favorite writer at the Phile. I have a few copies of his magazine Listener and wish I had them all. Art has his own approach to things, and I would love to hear his systems! But what I value about Art is not his approach to hifi, but that he has one and works it. And his writing rocks. And he has turned me on to some good music.

He moves to his own rhythm section, but shouldn't we all?

I agree with everything you posted. If I didn't, I would have ignored the subject as I routinely ignore a few of the other S'Phile writers' ramblings. JA, Wes, Mikey, Art, and Mr. Mejias are my favorite writers roughly in that order.

michaelavorgna
michaelavorgna's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 22 min ago
Joined: Sep 26 2007 - 5:40pm
Re: Art Dudley and slate plinth for his TD124


Quote:
Is it really 20,000 cold hard clams? Isn't there an extra zero and hence a typograghical faux pas such that I am just doing a Roseanne Roseannadanda over de nada.

The same article in the magazine reads - "OMA's prices start at $2,000..." which I believe is the correct price. Now what's all this fuss about violins on television?

Editor
Editor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: Sep 1 2005 - 8:56am
Re: Art Dudley and slate plinth for his TD124


Quote:

Quote:
Is it really 20,000 cold hard clams? Isn't there an extra zero and hence a typograghical faux pas such that I am just doing a Roseanne Roseannadanda over de nada.

The same article in the magazine reads - "OMA's prices start at $2,000..." which I believe is the correct price.

Yup, I put an extra zero in the price when I was doing the HTML encoding. We've corrected the Web reprint.

J00hn Atkins00n
Edit00r, Stere00phile

smejias
smejias's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: Aug 25 2005 - 10:29am
Re: Art Dudley and slate plinth for his TD124


Quote:
JA, Wes, Mikey, Art, and Mr. Mejias are my favorite writers roughly in that order.


Dammit!

Wait, that's reverse order, right?
(Just kidding. Thanks!)

FSonicSmith
FSonicSmith's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: Feb 12 2010 - 6:09am
Re: Art Dudley and slate plinth for his TD124

Damn it Mr. Atkinson, just when I thought I had a good rant going you have to confirm my worst fears. Nevermind. Sorry Art. I still get Springsteen and not mock bluegrass. I'm still sticking with solid birch too.

FSonicSmith
FSonicSmith's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: Feb 12 2010 - 6:09am
Re: Art Dudley and slate plinth for his TD124

Of course Stephen. Reverse order is synonymous with "roughly".

  • X
    Enter your Stereophile.com username.
    Enter the password that accompanies your username.
    Loading