In my opinion this thread is a good example of all:
- The extent to which contributors with little or no subject matter expertise advance speculative theories with no underlying rationale, at odds with and in many cases completely ignorant of facts, science and accepted wisdom and yet with no apparent interest in actually learning anything. There are plenty of books on almost all the subjects discussed here, why not read one?
- The extent to which contributors with considerable subject matter expertise seem more interested in belittling the above rather than helping them. Instead of posturing, scoffing and saying "I don't even know where to begin", why not just suggest an appropriate introductory textbook or post a link to a good grounder?
- The speed with which debates between or among the above categories become antagonistic and the discussion turns aggressive and aubsive and descends into childish name calling and ad hominem attacks.
- The amounts of time, energy and emotion some people are willing to invest in such fist fights which lamentably seem to be the only threads that ever actually gather any momentum. Many contributors seem to enjoy the blood sports far more than the audio.
- The extremes of such uncivilized behaviour, often in breach of the first rule of the forum ("Participants shall not post any material likely to cause offence") that the moderators seem willing to tolerate before intervening.
Am I the only one here that finds this offensive, monotonous and downright sad?