Since I’m going to buy a new iMac, I would also like to buy a new pair of speakers. My current computer setup is connected to a Creative Inspire 2400 2.1. Actually I’m not happy with this speaker system: I don’t like the subwoofer; the bass gives me headaches (hence I turned the bass to the very minimum). Therefore I’m looking for a 2.0 setup only for my iMac. I checked around on the Internet and other forums as well but I cannot make up my mind. There ‘re no stores in my neighborhood that carry different computer speaker systems in order to test them out. Therefore I need to rely on the comments and experiences of other people.
What I’m looking for:
- I’m not an audiophile, just looking for a pair of speakers that are better than the build-ins from the iMac. I’ll just use the speakers for surfing the web, listening to iTunes, watching movies (most of the time)
- 2.0 setup only, definitely not a 2.1 since I get headaches from the bass produced by the subwoofer
- No excessive bass production ( but no total exclusion of the bass either)
- Preferably tower like (e.g. Creative T 40, Klipsch Promedia 2.0,…)
- 3,5 mm headphone jack at the front
- Aux jack would be nice
- Nice design & (should be compatible with iMac)
- Reputable brand
- Budget $100 (but this can vary)
- Minimal cluttering with wires (no wireless, since I want to plug and play, don’t trust Bluetooth to perform flawlessy)
The different models that I came across on the Internet:
Bose Compagnion 2, Klipsch Promedia 2.0, Creative Gigaworks T40, Creative Gigaworks T20, Altec Lansing VS 2720, Altec Lansing VS 2620, JBL Duet II, JBL Duet III, …
Any input how to choose ? At first sight I would go for the Bose Compagnion 2 because that is a brand that I know for making good sound systems.
Any input ?
Thanks in advance,