You are here

Log in or register to post comments
Dobbler
Dobbler's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: Dec 9 2012 - 6:32pm
From Bi-amping to monoblocks

Current set-up: Arcam A32 Integrated with Arcam P35 Bi-amping Dali Helicon 400 Speakers (REL sub under that).  The amps are 100w/ch.  I always loved the sound, but when I play hard rock/heavy metal it falls a little flat.  I LOVE the speakers, but feel that maybe bi-amping was a bad choice.  I feel that I need more power.

I listen to mostly rock based music, with some country, jazz, and blugrass sprinkled in.  When I play Rush, I want it to sound good AND come alive!  However, when I listen to John Mayer I want it to be detailed with a good soundstage.  No classical in my line-up.

Once had a Rotel 200w/ch and loved its punch but went with the Arcam for better detail.  Might have gone too soft, though?

Would love to go monoblocks without breaking the bank. Looking for the 200w range. I'll use the A32 as the pre-amp.  Could sell the P35 as a down payment.  Any suggestions on what would fit my listening style?

jackfish
jackfish's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: Dec 19 2005 - 2:42pm
Emotiva always comes to mind.

The Emotiva XPA-100 monoblocks are 250 Watts into 8 Ohms, 400 watts into 4 Ohms. You can try them with your equipment in your room and if you don't like them send them back within 30 days for a purchase price refund. $760/pair delivered.

tmsorosk
tmsorosk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 56 sec ago
Joined: Dec 5 2010 - 12:34pm
Question

Are the two amps your using now not almost the 200 watts your seeking? If your looking to add more power only it doesn't sound like you'll be getting much of an improvement . A slight increase in power may not be sufficient . Remember , doubling the watts only works out to 3db , all things being equal. 

Dobbler
Dobbler's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: Dec 9 2012 - 6:32pm
Doesn't add up
tmsorosk wrote:

Are the two amps your using now not almost the 200 watts your seeking? If your looking to add more power only it doesn't sound like you'll be getting much of an improvement . A slight increase in power may not be sufficient . Remember , doubling the watts only works out to 3db , all things being equal. 

Yes, with the two amps, they add up to 200w/ch.  However, with bi-amping you leave a lot on the table and never realize that full power.  For example, when you get a bass drum thump, 100 of your watts is only amplifying your tweeters so that amp doesn't contribute.  Keeps the tweeters very detailed, but lacks some punch that I am looking for.

In addition to monos, I would go with a dual mono design or even a stereo amp.  It just needs to be capable.  I don't have Pass Labs or Krell money, though!

jackfish
jackfish's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: Dec 19 2005 - 2:42pm
Do you have Parasound money?

If not, I'd look into Emotiva. At least you can try it and send it back if you don't want it.

If you do have Parasound money, they are very capable amplifiers. The JC1 and A21 are well regarded. But you could get a pair of Emotiva XPA-1s for less money than the A21 and I doubt you'ld choose the sound of the A21 over them, and the JC1 is approaching Pass Labs and Krell money. The Emotiva XPA-2 should also get consideration.

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=xpa2&action=display&thread=27556&page=1

Dobbler
Dobbler's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: Dec 9 2012 - 6:32pm
I suppose the parasound A21

I suppose the parasound A21 is within reach.  I am watching (and reading) the Emotiva amps closely!

jackfish
jackfish's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: Dec 19 2005 - 2:42pm
The new XPR amps were released today.

The XPR-1 monoblocks are 1900 watts into 4 Ohms and the XPR-2 two channel amp is 1000 watts per channel. $1280 and $1450, respectively.

Dobbler
Dobbler's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: Dec 9 2012 - 6:32pm
Emotiva
jackfish wrote:

The XPR-1 monoblocks are 1900 watts into 4 Ohms and the XPR-2 two channel amp is 1000 watts per channel. $1280 and $1450, respectively.

I saw.  That XPR-2 is very tempting!

BTW, how do you pronounce Emotiva?

jackfish
jackfish's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: Dec 19 2005 - 2:42pm
Emo-tEE-vuh

Just make sure you have a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the XPR-2.

tmsorosk
tmsorosk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 56 sec ago
Joined: Dec 5 2010 - 12:34pm
Watts
Dobbler wrote:
tmsorosk wrote:

Are the two amps your using now not almost the 200 watts your seeking? If your looking to add more power only it doesn't sound like you'll be getting much of an improvement . A slight increase in power may not be sufficient . Remember , doubling the watts only works out to 3db , all things being equal. 

Yes, with the two amps, they add up to 200w/ch.  However, with bi-amping you leave a lot on the table and never realize that full power.  For example, when you get a bass drum thump, 100 of your watts is only amplifying your tweeters so that amp doesn't contribute.  Keeps the tweeters very detailed, but lacks some punch that I am looking for.

In addition to monos, I would go with a dual mono design or even a stereo amp.  It just needs to be capable.  I don't have Pass Labs or Krell money, though!

 

 

You shouldn't be leaving much on the table , hi and mid frequency drivers can be a more difficult load angle than low freq drivers .

When I was Bi-amping with two identical 200 watt Levinson amps , if I pushed them to far it was the upper frequency amp that went into thermal protection , and yes I did try swapping the amps. 

 

 

 

 

Dobbler
Dobbler's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: Dec 9 2012 - 6:32pm
Speaker issue?
tmsorosk wrote:
Dobbler wrote:
tmsorosk wrote:

Are the two amps your using now not almost the 200 watts your seeking? If your looking to add more power only it doesn't sound like you'll be getting much of an improvement . A slight increase in power may not be sufficient . Remember , doubling the watts only works out to 3db , all things being equal. 

Yes, with the two amps, they add up to 200w/ch.  However, with bi-amping you leave a lot on the table and never realize that full power.  For example, when you get a bass drum thump, 100 of your watts is only amplifying your tweeters so that amp doesn't contribute.  Keeps the tweeters very detailed, but lacks some punch that I am looking for.

In addition to monos, I would go with a dual mono design or even a stereo amp.  It just needs to be capable.  I don't have Pass Labs or Krell money, though!

 

 

You shouldn't be leaving much on the table , hi and mid frequency drivers can be a more difficult load angle than low freq drivers .

When I was Bi-amping with two identical 200 watt Levinson amps , if I pushed them to far it was the upper frequency amp that went into thermal protection , and yes I did try swapping the amps. 

Maybe it's a function of the speaker design?  They are a 2.5 way crossover (below described as 3.5).  They have two tweeters.  My upper amp is only for the tweeters!  The lower powers the mid and lows.

"Three-and-a-half–way, floorstanding, ported, bass-reflex loudspeaker. Drive-units: 2" (55mm) ribbon tweeter, 1" (25mm) silk-dome tweeter, two 6.5" wood-fiber/pulp-cone woofers. Crossover frequencies: 700Hz, 3kHz, 13.5kHz."

Dobbler
Dobbler's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: Dec 9 2012 - 6:32pm
Newer model

I have the older model, but the way the crossover works is the same.  No dedicated midrange driver: both 6.5" drivers receive the full bass signal.  The article descibes it best:

 

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/308dali/index.html

  • X
    Enter your Stereophile.com username.
    Enter the password that accompanies your username.
    Loading